Light-O-Rama Forums

My Valentines Day show

ace_master

ace_master wrote:

Anyone else do something for Valentines Day out there?

**Not that I can share.... :P

Nice job on the sequence!!!!!

Thanks Jim. I did Whitney Houston's 'I will Always Love You' as well, but don't have the audio synced to the video yet, and my computer is playing the show right now... so editing is a tough task at the moment.

ace_master wrote:

Video didn't seem to post ...

I did that one for Christmas but YouTube pulled the music it on me so I took it off. I did that song for a couple of other decorators too.

Maybe I should post it on Vimeo.

Thank you everyone :)

trafficman wrote:

Great job Ace!! What type of lights are you using at the gutters of the house?

The lights on the gutters are RGB strips from Ray Wu.

Thanks Ace. I am wanting to get into the rgb stuff and have read so much on here I am getting lost in all of it. I know I need DC controllers and and strips but which power should I buy 12V I know. I did saee a diagram on here but cant find it again. Any help? Thanks again !!

Jeff

trafficman wrote:

Thanks Ace. I am wanting to get into the rgb stuff and have read so much on here I am getting lost in all of it. I know I need DC controllers and and strips but which power should I buy 12V I know. I did saee a diagram on here but cant find it again. Any help? Thanks again !!
Jeff

I used LORs DC controllers (you need to find your own enclosure for them(I got mine from Mouser)).

I used Ray Wu's waterproof power supplies... the number of watts you'll need depends on how much of a load you intend on putting on them. Ray Wu's RGB strips run at 7.2 Watts/Meter with all R,G,B colors at 100%.

I used a 2 of THESE to light up all my eves (just under 200 feet total), but you can get this power supply in various wattage.

When you plan your lay out, try to make your controllers central to all the RGB strips they will be connected to, as the ribbons white color will start to turn a slight pink when you add too much distance to the line. (I was able to add 35ft of strip on to 20 ft of RGB power cable without anyone saying anything about it to me... and I probably had about 5000 visitors this Christmas)

Here is the one I used. I plan on leaving the strips up year round because you don't even notice them on the white eves of the house... If you plan on handling your strips and taking them down every year, you might want to look into this one which has a 2nd type of coating on it which is more rigid, waterproof, and wont be as likely to crack solder points when bent or twisted.... The trade off is that this one is tough to work with when you want to cut and solder/splice sections of strips together. And it is more expensive for the same strip of lights.

I believe Ray will sell strips with both types of coating in both white and brown board strips, depending on what will blend in with your house more.

Also, keep in mind that these trips have no adhesive on the back of them to attach to anything. I used Velcro strips for mine (you will need both 'hook' and 'loop' strips). But be warned that these industrial strips of Velcro may peel paint and finish off your house, should you wish to take them off the house at some point.