Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor Newbie Question

dgrant

I've got enough sequenced music now for 4, 15 minute shows with a semi-static 15 minute show between each full show of music/lights. Since I've not personally seen anyone's show yet, what do you all do for shows, generally speaking? I mean, I can play a show for an hour straight then start repeating the whole show or I was planning on breaking it up into the 4, 15 min shows with the static between. Thoughts?

Last year I had (3) 25 minutes shows (with all different songs) and all with a 5 minute "intermission" at the end of each show for the kids to use my Interactive Buttons.

These shows then repeated every night from 5:00 - 9:00 on the weekdays and 5:00-10:00 on the weekends...

I was going to just place all of the music sequences into a single show, adding the non-musical as an annimation sequence between the major groupings of music sequences but it appears it won't work that way. I'll keep digging and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

That's true. I was only thinking of the neighbors here and giving them a slight break. Audio will get shut off after the first hour or so then FM only. The show scheduler software does not allow repeating of an existing show, just starting show times. So if I do a single show, all night, I've got to calculate the total time of the show and either keep loading sequences in the editor or schedule the next show at the right instant that last one ended unless....the software does this by itself? I've not yet been able to test it for real to see what happens, therefore my newbie questions.

Will have 80 channels this first time out, speakers, FM transmitter, 32Chan Megatree, 2 arches and lots of lights!!! .... most all are led's. I've been extensively using the Visualizer for my program sequencing which has been a huge help...Thanks LOR!

dgrant wrote:

So if I do a single show, all night, I've got to calculate the total time of the show and either keep loading sequences in the editor or schedule the next show at the right instant that last one ended unless....the software does this by itself?

if you have a single show that is only "X" minutes long, and you schedule that show between 5 and 10 pm, it will keep repeating itself until 10pm...and play in it's entirety, as the last song, the song it is playing at 10pm...whether it is the second song in your show, or the next to last.

Now, there are several options to how your show plays...like in the order you have it, shuffle, and a few other options...

Thanks, that helps me to understand the functioning of the scheduler. The help documentation didn't seem to have that in there but maybe I missed it too. I'm trying to iron out issues long before we all get to the time to light them up again, so that I have no unexpected issues at the last second. I'll probably leave the sequence of the sequences alone as I've got a good mix setup already and now at about 18-20 different sequences ready to run. Between now and the magic day, I'll be refining the sequences, getting the hardware installations ready to do and buying SPT cord...lots of it. LOL. Planning on labeling everything so doing this again the following years should be easier. Next year, I'll probably add the CCR's.

dgrant wrote:

I've got enough sequenced music now for 4, 15 minute shows with a semi-static 15 minute show between each full show of music/lights.

If you want to do this, create 2 shows, called "Main Show" and "Static Show".

The main show will have musical sequences. The static show will not. It will just have animation sequences in the animation tab.

Schedule the main show to run from :00 to :15, and :30 to :45 (each hour).
Schedule the static show to run from :15 to :30 and :45 to :00.

At 15 past the hour, the main show will enter shutdown mode. This means it will finish playing the musical sequence it was playing, and then the static show will start.

At the top (and bottom) of the hour, the static show will stop immediately, because animation sequences can be interrupted without finishing. This will ensure that your main show starts promptly each half hour.

I didn't know that either that an annimation show will stop at the beginning of a musical show. The implication is that I could do a 15 min static and even if it only ran for 12 minutes for example, the next scheduled start of the musical show would still begin on time. Very interesting... :)

Well, that didn't work. I quickly found that the 3.14 software will not allow two shows to run at the same time when they can possibly interfere with each other. I tested things extensively today so I'll just add my static to the end of the main show or put the static show between 4-5 musical sequences. That'll work easily and achieve the same result.

dgrant wrote:

Well, that didn't work. I quickly found that the 3.14 software will not allow two shows to run at the same time when they can possibly interfere with each other. I tested things extensively today so I'll just add my static to the end of the main show or put the static show between 4-5 musical sequences. That'll work easily and achieve the same result.
How and why were you trying to run them at the same time?

Are your static lights ALWAYS static? If so..how about just putting them on a separate timer?

jimswinder wrote:

dgrant wrote:
How and why were you trying to run them at the same time?

Are your static lights ALWAYS static? If so..how about just putting them on a separate timer?

Getting interesting around here.... Jim "Inspector Gadget" Winder ?

Genius I might add....

The static display was intended to be slowly changing lights in a 1 minute configuration that loops 15 times, therefore 15 minute static. At the start of a music display, the same static lights are used as part of the show. I tried doing a single static for 15 minutes, then slightly over-lapping the start of the music display to see if it would take priority over the static(annimation). The show scheduler would not allow any shows to impact each other. I tried numerous different ways to get past it that all didn't work. The reason I was considering this approach is so that I could put a sign up, stating shows every half-hour, on the half hour. That reason is due to say, 4-5 tunes are not all the exact same length of course so I didn't want the house lights to all be "Off" for some short period of time such as a couple of minutes here and there. There's enough sequenced music now for about 45 minutes of show if I use all of it. What will be easiest is if I put the static in a couple of locations in the show, therefore it'll time itself, schedule the main show for the evening and it'll take care of itself. By the end of the night, it won't be prompt on the clock any more but I doubt anyone will care by that time.

dgrant wrote:

The static display was intended to be slowly changing lights in a 1 minute configuration that loops 15 times, therefore 15 minute static. At the start of a music display, the same static lights are used as part of the show. I tried doing a single static for 15 minutes, then slightly over-lapping the start of the music display to see if it would take priority over the static(annimation).

**If I am understanding this correctly and your Static Lights are still controlled by LOR, why not just add that part of the static display into your first sequence that your Musical Show will play?**

dgrant wrote:

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks for the help...all my dumb question...lol, I'm learning!
you want to see dumb questions??

Look at ANY of my posts from my first year!!!

Or for that matter...from yesterday... :P

dgrant wrote:

shows every half-hour, on the half hour.

My first idea should still work for this. Let me be more explicit about how to set this up:
  1. Create a show called "Static".
  2. This is important: This "Static" show will have no (0) sequences in the "Musical" tab.
  3. Instead, put your "Static" sequence in the "Background" tab (if you have a "Standard" license or above, or otherwise in the "Animation" tab, and make sure you un-check the "Turn used lights off at end of each sequence".)
  4. Create a 2nd show called "Christmas" (or whatever).
  5. Put your regular musical sequences in this show.
  6. In the Schedule Editor, click "Add".
  7. Select the "Christmas" show.
  8. Start at 5:30:00 PM.
  9. End at 5:45:00 PM.
  10. Save, and click "Add" again.
  11. Select the "Static" show.
  12. Start at 5:45:00 PM.
  13. End at 6:00:00 PM.
  14. Save, and click "Add" again.
  15. Select the "Christmas" show.
  16. Start at 6:00:00 PM.
  17. End at 6:15:00 PM.
  18. Save, and click "Add" again.
  19. Select the "Static" show.
  20. Start at 6:15:00 PM.
  21. End at 6:30:00 PM.
  22. Save, and repeat until you want the shows to stop.

This will make the main "Christmas" show start exactly at 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, etc. The "Static" show will not start exactly at 5:45, 6:15, etc., because it will always wait for the last musical sequence in the "Christmas" show to finish.

If you select "Shuffle" in your Musical tab, this will make the "Christmas" show different each time. If you have a "Standard" or better license, you can enhance this by putting a musical sequence in the "Shutdown" tab that plays a voice announcement telling the visitors that the next show will start in about 15 minutes. You could also put this in the "Startup" tab of the "Static" sequence.

• 7 months later...

There are two editors you need to learn. Very simple really...the Show Editor and the Show Schedule Editor. In the show editor, this is where you place the individual sequences that you wish to show. There are a lot of options in there so take a look at the help files on it. From there, you need to look at the Schedule Editor....this is where to you tell the software to turn on at a specific time, date, days of the week. BUT, nothing will run unless you command the Control Panel to be ready to run. I'm on my laptop at this moment so I can't look at it but I know you start the control panel, then right click on the task bar icon for it and tell it to go. It will not go unless it detects the controllers on the network(s) where they were assigned.