Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems in visualizer

Melvin Stoddard

I am planning on having 8 CCR's next year in a upright tree prop. I have bought SS and have finished four songs so far. When I watch the songs in SS or in the view animation in the sequence editor everthing is right on time. But when I watch it in the LOR visualizer there are problems. Some morphs and action scenes are off or slow, some get stuck [ I mean they come move part of the way the just stop and stay on in one place]. Sometimes ramdon pixels just come on and stay on till the end of the songs. Is this just a problem with the visualizer or is this going to happen when I try to actually play this. I only have two CCR's at the moment I am waiting for sale to buy six more. Melvin

• 2 weeks later...

I created a sequence for 6 CCRs using the SS “Instant Sequence” and although I didn’t see any real problem with the visualizer when not controlling the lights, I definitely had lag problems with actual controlling the lights. The visualizer and sequence editor both lagged too. This seems to be only a problem when using “Instant Sequences” as my other sequences that I manually created does not have this lag. I’m thinking because the Instant Sequence creates so many crazy fast moving morphs that there is just way too much data to be process fast enough. Its not my PC's as and used a laptop (i3, 4G RAM) and a desktop (i7 with 10G of RAM). Both showed the same results.

I also ran the show from the Sequence Editor itself and not from the Control Panel as you would normally do for a show. I needed to queue the sequence up at different parts of the track and this seem to be the best solution. I’ve done it this way many times in the past and never had an issue with a manual created sequence.

I brought this issue up last month and I didn’t get a complete answer from LOR on why this happens. I didn’t bring this to Brian’s (SS creator) attention, so maybe he would have answer or solution??

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/32145.html

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

I am planning on having 8 CCR's next year in a upright tree prop. I have bought SS and have finished four songs so far. When I watch the songs in SS or in the view animation in the sequence editor everthing is right on time. But when I watch it in the LOR visualizer there are problems. Some morphs and action scenes are off or slow, some get stuck [ I mean they come move part of the way the just stop and stay on in one place]. Sometimes ramdon pixels just come on and stay on till the end of the songs. Is this just a problem with the visualizer or is this going to happen when I try to actually play this. I only have two CCR's at the moment I am waiting for sale to buy six more. Melvin

For a sanity check I just ran my 12 CCR Wizards in Winter sequence and House on Christmas Street sequence from the Sequence Editor to the Visualizer. On my computer they both play fine. Wizards in Winter is my most active manually sequenced sequence, and House on Christmas Street was created using the Instant Sequence feature. The computer I am running is an 18 month old laptop with an i3 CPU running at 2.27 GHz with 4 GB of memory. At the time I bought it, it was a mid-range computer, that is, it was not the fastest one there, nor one of the slower ones. I am not sure why the Visualizer is having problems on your computer. How fast is your computer?

As for if it will lag on your actual CCRs, the rule of thumb is to have one network per 6 CCRs. On my display I have 12 CCRs and use two networks. I am able to run all of my sequences without lag. And the computer I use to play to my actual CCRs is probably about 6 years old with 500 Mb of memory, so it is not a particularly fast computer.

Cracker wrote:

I created a sequence for 6 CCRs using the SS “Instant Sequence” and although I didn’t see any real problem with the visualizer when not controlling the lights, I definitely had lag problems with actual controlling the lights. The visualizer and sequence editor both lagged too. This seems to be only a problem when using “Instant Sequences” as my other sequences that I manually created does not have this lag. I’m thinking because the Instant Sequence creates so many crazy fast moving morphs that there is just way too much data to be process fast enough. Its not my PC's as and used a laptop (i3, 4G RAM) and a desktop (i7 with 10G of RAM). Both showed the same results.

I also ran the show from the Sequence Editor itself and not from the Control Panel as you would normally do for a show. I needed to queue the sequence up at different parts of the track and this seem to be the best solution. I’ve done it this way many times in the past and never had an issue with a manual created sequence.

I brought this issue up last month and I didn’t get a complete answer from LOR on why this happens. I didn’t bring this to Brian’s (SS creator) attention, so maybe he would have answer or solution??

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/32145.html

You should be able to run 6 CCRs on one network even if it is a very active Instant Sequence. In the Sequence Editor, click on the Edit menu and then Preferences, then Network Preferences. Be sure that all the networks you are using are set to "Short Range Faster." If you already have it set at "Short Range Faster" let me know.

Brian my computer is a HP Pavilion 1030us notebook, 4 GB of memory, 2 GHz. Its about 2 and half or 3 years old. I actually talk to Dan and he did not know why it was doing it also. I have it set up on three networks 196 channels and 2 CCR on 1st network, then the other 6 CCR on two networks.

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

Brian my computer is a HP Pavilion 1030us notebook, 4 GB of memory, 2 GHz. Its about 2 and half or 3 years old. I actually talk to Dan and he did not know why it was doing it also. I have it set up on three networks 196 channels and 2 CCR on 1st network, then the other 6 CCR on two networks.

Sounds like your computer is almost as fast as mine. I played some more sequences on the Visualizer today, and if there is a fast morph, the leading edge of the morph does "skip" a bit as it goes across the ribbon, but nothing as bad as what you are describing.

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

Also set on Short Range Faster.

The Short Range Faster setting is important when you play the sequence to your actual CCRs, it has no effect when playing to the visualizer.