Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

Dennis Laff

I ordered the EDM based on recommendations here in the forum but I've not yet received it so I can't state if its good or not yet. I expect it'll work quite well from what everyone else says about it.

I received my EDM-RDS transmitter today. Following the soldering needed for the power plug, it worked first time. Now I did see or hear, the received FM broadcast was somewhat too powerful and distorting on the low frequencies. I tried changing the power switch to the other position but it made no difference in the distortion levels. It appears too me that the line-in that I'm feeding it, is simply too powerful and it is a line-out that's being used. I've just ordered an in-line attenuator which is basically a volume control and will see if that knocks down the distortion. There was no information on the adjustment pots inside of it other than to say to leave them alone. Also, there's no download of software for it that allows for the RDS information to work. They provide the RS232 cable for the computer but I wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with it, via the one piece of software that they do have available. Baud and ports all selected correctly on both the transmitter and the computer and still no comm.

dgrant wrote:

I received my EDM-RDS transmitter today. Following the soldering needed for the power plug, it worked first time. Now I did see or hear, the received FM broadcast was somewhat too powerful and distorting on the low frequencies. I tried changing the power switch to the other position but it made no difference in the distortion levels. It appears too me that the line-in that I'm feeding it, is simply too powerful and it is a line-out that's being used. I've just ordered an in-line attenuator which is basically a volume control and will see if that knocks down the distortion. There was no information on the adjustment pots inside of it other than to say to leave them alone. Also, there's no download of software for it that allows for the RDS information to work. They provide the RS232 cable for the computer but I wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with it, via the one piece of software that they do have available. Baud and ports all selected correctly on both the transmitter and the computer and still no comm.

Is this the type of thing you bought to help the over-powering input?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975

If not, that is probably what you need.

Also strongly suggest joining this group to get additional help. Several there use LOR too. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/edmdesign/

dgrant wrote:

Also, there's no download of software for it that allows for the RDS information to work. They provide the RS232 cable for the computer but I wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with it, via the one piece of software that they do have available. Baud and ports all selected correctly on both the transmitter and the computer and still no comm.

I'm running a little late, so can't find the link, but what you want is some software called miniRDS or tinyRDS. Both by the same company. TinyRDS is newer and what I use. There's also a tutorial to get it all set up. I'll send links when I get home if you haven't found them already.

dgrant wrote:

They provide the RS232 cable for the computer but I wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with it, via the one piece of software that they do have available. Baud and ports all selected correctly on both the transmitter and the computer and still no comm.

You may be interested to know that it doesn't use the serial communication lines of the RS232 port, but uses the modem control lines instead (DTR, RTS, and CTS) to implement IIC. Therefore, the baud rate doesn't matter. However, you must use a serial port that includes the modem control lines (some do not).

This is assuming they are still using the MiniRDS Encoder chip. If they have changed to the new, improved, MicroRDS Encoder chip, then it uses real serial communication.

I did located a minirds download on another site and even though it looked the same, it would not update the RDS data itself. It did however, communicate with the transmitter. This morning, I'll try the TinyRDS and see if it works any better. Thank You

Yes!!!! The "TinyRDS" software works perfectly with it. Other than a line attenuator I've ordered off Amazon, the FM transmission part is ready to run this coming Christmas. Thanks to all to pointed me in the right directions :)

No, It uses the mini-usb connector on the box and a DB9 for the serial port end to connect to the computer. It comes with the cable supplied.

Hi my computer is 2 years old no db9 connector on it can i use the usb port from edm transmitter to usb port on computer Thanks Dennis

Dennis Laff wrote:

Hi my computer is  2 years old no db9 connector on it can i use the usb port from edm transmitter to usb port on computer Thanks Dennis

Check this post. I am thinking about upgrading my show PC and am worried about the same problem. I haven't pulled the the trigger yet, but thought I'd pass along the info. I'm leaning toward buying a serial card to put in the PC vs. going the converter cable route.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum76/30939.html

Apparently, the EDM requires "Bi-Directional" data capability which most USB ports do not have. Now if you have a laptop with a PCMCIA slot, you can buy a serial port card for that, which should work. As stated already, if using a desktop, you can add a serial port card to the computer.

Hi looked at serial port cards on websites prices are all over the place start at$15.00 up to hundreds any ideas on what type to buy for pc Thank Dennis

I tried the USB route and was not able to get the transmitter to work. Since I had a new computer for shows this last year and it had no serial port, I went to the local electronics store (Fry's in this area) and bought the cheapest serial card that I could find (for $19) and it worked just fine.

By the way Aaron, if you are thinking about gonig the serial route and you don't have a serial card, then I will be glad to remove the one from my computer and send it to you for free. I wasn't using it for anything else.