Light-O-Rama Forums

Need to buy a few things...

drums114

I have been programming a few sequences - this will be my first year doing a LOR setup. I am sure these were answered but...:

1. What is the best FM transmistter for the cost? Not looking for the best and not looking for the worst. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? Maybe middle of the range.

2. It sounds like making your own extension cords from SPT-2 wire is the best. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? I will just have a string or 2 of lights connected to it (low amps - I know)

3. It sounds like vampire plugs are the way to go with the SPT-2 wire setup. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? Also can you plug in the vampire plugs to an end of another string of lights? (i.e does the plug have one big side and one small side or does it look like a string of lights plug with 2 of the same size ends hope that makes sense)

Thanks!

Mark

drums114 wrote:

I have been programming a few sequences - this will be my first year doing a LOR setup. I am sure these were answered but...:

1. What is the best FM transmistter for the cost? Not looking for the best and not looking for the worst. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? Maybe middle of the range.
2. It sounds like making your own extension cords from SPT-2 wire is the best. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? I will just have a string or 2 of lights connected to it (low amps - I know)
3. It sounds like vampire plugs are the way to go with the SPT-2 wire setup. Where is the best place to get it for the best cost? Also can you plug in the vampire plugs to an end of another string of lights? (i.e does the plug have one big side and one small side or does it look like a string of lights plug with 2 of the same size ends hope that makes sense)
Thanks!

Mark

1) (From my knowledge the EDM transmitter is the ONLY way to go for your $$)

2)(If your running low amperage spt1 should suffice your application)

3)(You need to use same vampire plugs as SPT...) Lokk into Christmaslightsetc. For some of the best prices for bulk buying..

Example: If you use SPT1, use SPT1 vampire ends...

If you use SPT2, use SPT2 vampire ends...

Hope this all helps you some.

hdracer wrote:

drums114 wrote:

Thanks!

Mark

3)(You need to use same vampire plugs as SPT...) Lokk into Christmaslightsetc. For some of the best prices for bulk buying..

1) Agree

2) SPT1/2 only reffers to the insolation not the Amperage IE SPT2 has more UV protection. the differance your looking for would be 18 or 16 ga 18 would be work well for low amps

3) agree

hdracer wrote:

drums114 wrote:

Thanks!

Mark

where can you get a EDM transmitter (website)?

MCas4380 wrote:

hdracer wrote:
drums114 wrote:

Thanks!

Mark

1) Agree

2) SPT1/2 only reffers to the insolation not the Amperage IE SPT2 has more UV protection. the differance your looking for would be 18 or 16 ga 18 would be work well for low amps

3) agree

To clarify even further (seems to be a lot of clarifying needed in this thread:?), the difference in SPT1/2 has nothing to do with UV protection. It has to do with thickness of insulation and that is it. SPT2 has thicker insulation, which adds durability. Neither typically has added UV protection (which for winter seasonal use is basically not needed--UV exposure in the entire continental USA is miniscule compared to summer). CDI sells SPT3 wire that is basically SPT1 with UV protection in the insulation. Rarely you will see SPT3 elsewhere that does refer to thicker yet insulation. Most SPT1/2 wire is 18g, but will rarely see it as 16g. Any and all of the above types would be more than adequate for "a string or 2 of lights connected to it" from a power capacity standpoint. For most average lengths of SPT wire, it will carry 7-10A. http://www.planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm

Monitor wire prices here:
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lampcord.aspx

http://www.grandbrass.com/ (search for "zip wire")

$0.09-$0.13 per foot is a pretty good price.

Vampire plugs:
http://www.landmarklightingkc.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=40

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Spt1-and-spt2-Wire-and-Spt1-and-spt2-Plugs.html

1.Agree EDM works great but: Buy early, they go fast and can become unavaiable later in the year.
2. Agree again, great info.
3. Agree again, I also would like to know where best $$ value can be had for wite and plugs. You can never have to much as you think of more and more ideas the closer to set-up.

Thanks for all the information guys! I see you need to put together the EDM transmitter. Is there a video on that? Since I never soldered before I am a little nervous I would mess something up. Does anyone know where you could buy put together units for sale?

drums114 wrote:

Thanks for all the information guys! I see you need to put together the EDM transmitter. Is there a video on that? Since I never soldered before I am a little nervous I would mess something up. Does anyone know where you could buy put together units for sale?

See here:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=273375

This is a commonly touched on topic. Many have bit the bullet on it and I have never seen that somebody regretted it.

Any suggestions on what model to buy from EDM? Is the text feature worth the extra $$? Its cool but not sure its worth the extra $$...

drums114 wrote:

Any suggestions on what model to buy from EDM? Is the text feature worth the extra $$? Its cool but not sure its worth the extra $$...

I have a EDM-LCD-RDS-EP (their best). Depends on what your budget is. The RDS is a luxury, you're right. But it does add something to the display. I don't regret getting it--would buy it again. EDM-TX-LCD-EP is the same transmitter, without RDS (text). The only other one to consider is the EDM-LCD-CS-EP which is their budget model which a few here have used and seems to do well. Below is their description for it.

EDMLCDCS1.jpg

I also have an EMD and would highly recommend one. Having never owned a transmitter, the only thing that really sticks in my mind when this thing arrived was the size. I was thinking it would be the size of a DVD player or a VCR deck. For the cost, I was shocked when it was hardly bigger than a deck of cards.

Steve

Surfing4Dough wrote:

drums114 wrote:

I have a EDM-LCD-RDS-EP (their best). Depends on what your budget is. The RDS is a luxury, you're right. But it does add something to the display. I don't regret getting it--would buy it again. EDM-TX-LCD-EP is the same transmitter, without RDS (text). The only other one to consider is the EDM-LCD-CS-EP which is their budget model which a few here have used and seems to do well. Below is their description for it.

EDMLCDCS1.jpg

I know these ranges can vary, but what kind of range do you get with this unit. I 'm looking for a good backup but need range since i'm nearly 300 feet from the road. Right now i'm using the Orion 5000 from mobile black box and this sucker cranks way out. LoL

SWood wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
drums114 wrote:

I know these ranges can vary, but what kind of range do you get with this unit. I 'm looking for a good backup but need range since i'm nearly 300 feet from the road. Right now i'm using the Orion 5000 from mobile black box and this sucker cranks way out. LoL

I have a EDM-LCD-RDS and just use the test wire antenna on the low power setting, with little attention to proper mounting of the antenna, and I would estimate that I get 800-900ft of clear audio (with lots of heavy tree cover along that path). If you were to construct an antenna you could easily exceed that.