Light-O-Rama Forums

Super Bowl Halftime Show

roknjohn

Just watched the Super Bowl halftime show with Madonna. I'd be very interested to see how they did that with the video stage and all. It looked pretty cool on TV.

Does anybody know of a forum or site that discusses the backstage technical details of that show?

I tell ya I'd love to know as well
I bet they used something like show vision
I bet that took some time to program
And quick connections and of the stage setup
All so awesome it would be cool to run and setup something like that

I obviously don't know for sure but the effects on the field look exactly like the video motion projectors that people are using on buildings and the like. The stage itself was most likely just a large scale DMX lighting system.

The field was pretty cool though!!

Ponddude wrote:

I obviously don't know for sure but the effects on the field look exactly like the video motion projectors that people are using on buildings and the like. The stage itself was most likely just a large scale DMX lighting system.

cracker did it:) I liked the field as well

Working in television on events using the same type of graphics My guess it was done by sportsvision http://www.sportvision.com/ That is how virtual graphics on large events are done. (Like the fist down marker) It is a series of computers that are tied to the x y z axis of the camera pan/tilt head and zoom/focus data. The graphic computers use this data and manipulate the graphics to match the postion of the camera. I've worked with this before while it looks great on the air it is a PIA to set up. aside from the building of the graphics package it most likely took them minimum of a week to set it up.

My son is on a plane back from Indy as I type. He was in charge of two SuperBowl parties featuring Snoop Dog on one stage and Ludacris on another.

Both of the parties were off site, one indoor in a hotel ballroom and the other was on a city street or a parking lot somewhere close to the stadium. I really don't know the specifics on this.

I do know that he stayed at the same hotel where most of the production people stayed so hopefully he got the scoop on the halftime details.

It looked to me like video panels, all of which were probably programmed prior to the event; but I will hopefully find out.

Charles

pikadroo wrote:

roknjohn wrote:
Just watched the Super Bowl halftime show with Madonna. I'd be very interested to see how they did that with the video stage and all. It looked pretty cool on TV.

Does anybody know of a forum or site that discusses the backstage technical details of that show?

That part of the stage that was not RGB where like the grass on the field went under the stage. That is this 3D mapping thing, and someone posted a video before Christmas with a building that had it going. Heck if I can find it now but this is pretty much the same thing.

Drew

I really like this one too:

Especially the pyrotechnics at the end and since it's all video, no worries about stray fireworks nailing anyone!

I've seen that city centre in Amsterdam, and I PROMISE it never looked like that. I wish I could have seen that show in person.

Ponddude wrote:

Yes I agree, I suspect it was 3D projection mapping as well.

Here is a quick list:

200 Clay Paky Sharpy

PRG Bad Boys

Vari*Lite VL3500s

A.C. Entertainment’s Chroma-Q Color Blocks

800 tiles of FLED FL-io11 tiles for the stage

32 Barco 20K HD20 projectors 150 feet above the stage

Christie Digital has Twist
http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/3D/products-and-solutions/3d-projection-solutions/christie-twist/Pages/default.aspx

Its software that runs inside the projector that allows the image to be mapped to your surface in 3d space.

You can sctually rent Christie's from a lot of production houses, so if you wanted to try it at home, and you have a nice chunk of change lying around...

Im sure someone can make you a 1 month rental on a projector or 2.

I have never used the software, but my buddie that still works AV said it took him a couple hours to map some basic shapes with 3 projectors.

No doubt Barco makes some amazing products, you just have to be famous to afford it!

gizmomkr wrote:

Christie Digital has Twist
http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/3D/products-and-solutions/3d-projection-solutions/christie-twist/Pages/default.aspx

No doubt Barco makes some amazing products, you just have to be famous to afford it!

To be honest I think Christie makes a better projector than Barco. They cost about the same and in some cases Christies cost even more.

Steve