Light-O-Rama Forums

cutting and sealing rgb strips

digdeepfundraising

i have some 5050 rgb strips in the silicone tube and i can cut them every 3rd led but whats the best way to re seal the ends once cut ???

and with the CMB16D-QC does it have to have a heatsink fitted to it ???

many thanks up front
dan

I'm not sure on the first question, but I ran across this Doc yesterday -page 5-
http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CMB16D_Man_Web.pdf

Second generation CMB16Ds boards have
transistors with metal tabs. Heat sinks are not
required if the current draw per channel is 4 amps or
less. The metal tab of the transistor is electrically
hot and a TO-220 insulating kit (mica wafer and
screw grommet) is required when mounting the
transistors to metal heat sinks.

I cut a lot of RGB strips for my 2011 display... I just got the best clear silicone the hardware store had. Injected it into the ribbon end (about 1/2" on both the front and back of the ribbon), and used a small amount of clear heat shrink tubing to extend the end of the strip about 1/4" (heat it right after putting silicone in to give the ribbon a rounded end)

Just make sure the silicone does not have acetic acid, smell like vinegar it will corrode your solder ends and electronics.

I had no idea solicone had Acid in it. Every tube I can think of always has that vinigar smell.

I cant find anything that says "Acid Free" at homedepot. I did find plenty of Boat places selling acid free stuff.

Any recomended brand you think a home supply / hardware store would stock ?

GE Silicone II (not silicone I) is considered a "neutral cure" type of silicone that is better to use around electrical and/or metal since it is not supposed to cause corrosion.
Also there are marine caulks that are acid free such as:
http://boatlife.com/silicones.html

You pretty much just have to read up on them to see which ones are acid free or safe for use on electronics and metals.
You can find aircraft potting compounds that are safe as well but they are very expensive and not so common to find for the average person (ie - not your lowe's or home depot type items).

I wasn't aware of acid in silicone either.

I'm using GE 3Hr Rain-Ready Sun/Freeze Proof silicone...
I checked the back of it and under FOR USE it says "around wires/pipes". And under ADHERES TO it says "most metals"

I cant say one way or the other how safe it is for electronics, but the vinegar smell compared to other silicone tubes I have smelt isn't as strong.

beeiilll wrote:

GE Silicone II (not silicone I) is considered a "neutral cure" type of silicone that is better to use around electrical and/or metal since it is not supposed to cause corrosion.

I used GE Silicone II on mine with no issues. I even had the wife check them out since she's seen the effects of using the wrong silicone on circuitry at work.