Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie here

Guest guest

I want to build a 32 channel setup for my first year (2007) but am a little confused on what to buy. I am trying to way out the pros and cons of premade kits opposed to building the boards myself. I am completly capable of doing the board so this isn't a concern. So if I decide to assemble the boards which ones should I go with? I would like to play music over a couple of speakers in my yard and not bother with a FM transmitter at this time, do I play the music off my PC? Thanks in advance!

i1uhrace wrote:

I want to build a 32 channel setup for my first year (2007) but am a little confused on what to buy. I am trying to way out the pros and cons of premade kits opposed to building the boards myself. I am completly capable of doing the board so this isn't a concern. So if I decide to assemble the boards which ones should I go with? I would like to play music over a couple of speakers in my yard and not bother with a FM transmitter at this time, do I play the music off my PC? Thanks in advance!

A Showtime unit is the quickest way to go. Buy it, and the software, and your done.

Hobbyist requires you to mount the controller in an enclosure, and attach power cords.

DIY requires you to build the controller from scratch. If have the knowhow, then this is the cheapest route.

The music, regardless of how you broadcast it to people, will come from your computer. (Or, if you use the MP3 Director, from it.)

Don pretty much covered it.

Also, if you don't have a serial port (some laptops don't now days) then you'll want the LOR USB convertor. I recomend LOR only on this. I learned the hard way.

And just read every topic under the LOR forum. If you read it all, you won't have many questions afterward.

Oh, "DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR WORK!!!"

Hope that helps,

Tom

I'd probably add one more thing regarding the music and the PC. When I first did this, I was using simple unpowered outdoor speakers. The PC can barely drive them (actually, it can't. you can barely hear audio from them). So you'll need either powered speakers or an old stereo to do the trick.

Im a rookie also looking to upgrade for 2007. The more i read the more questions i come up with. I was going to start with a 16 ch., now im thinking i better go to 32 right away. If i keep reading i may find the answers to some of these but if i dont maybe somebody can help me out.

1. Can you hook the LOR to your home network? I have a LAN at home and would like to just run the cat 5 from LOR to a router. Or is the LOR a direct connect?

2. I see if you build your own you can get up to 20 amps per 8 channels. If you buy the premade its only 15 amps per 8 channels. I wish i could buy the 20 amp premade opposed to building one. Are there any plans for LOR to offer this soo

3. What is the story with LED's. I want to start buying them since you can add more of these than minis to a channel. Sounds like some have issues with LED/LOR.

THanks in advance for any help!

Im a rookie also looking to upgrade for 2007. The more i read the more questions i come up with. I was going to start with a 16 ch., now im thinking i better go to 32 right away. If i keep reading i may find the answers to some of these but if i dont maybe somebody can help me out.

1. Can you hook the LOR to your home network? I have a LAN at home and would like to just run the cat 5 from LOR to a router. Or is the LOR a direct connect?

2. I see if you build your own you can get up to 20 amps per 8 channels. If you buy the premade its only 15 amps per 8 channels. I wish i could buy the 20 amp premade opposed to building one. Are there any plans for LOR to offer this soo

3. What is the story with LED's. I want to start buying them since you can add more of these than minis to a channel. Sounds like some have issues with LED/LOR.

THanks in advance for any help!

1) NO NO NO..... the data the lor sends in the cat 5 is not any standard your router will use... (note how lor can use phone lines also)

2) I think all you have to do is change the fuses in the pre build ones.. I may be wrong....

3) Led's are picky on dc power.... if the leds do not have a power converter on them then your good, (does it have a box in the line) also some leds dont like full power... you can set the intensity of any channel to 95% and it shuld be goof form what iIhave read. I have also hear leds dont fade very well though im new and can be wrong.

Dan talks about DC in this thread http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/11646.html Look for it in the second half of next year. You need to buy the assembled boards with the heavy duty heat sinks to run 20 amps. I believe the boards ship with 15 amp fuses, but they are designed to take 20 amps if you have the heavy duty heat sink and change out the fuses to 20 amp ceramic ones. The boards are not difficult to build from scratch. The first one I bought was factory assembled, the next five were kits. Very easily assembled.