Light-O-Rama Forums

When do you stop running your shows

Guest guest

I have always run my lights until New Year's Eve for as long as I can remember (20 years or so). I turn them off when I go to bed that night (morning?) and then I start dismantling New Years Day. This year I may wait until the following weekend.

I always feel bad when people shut down after Christmas Day. Often, the week between Christmas and New Years is when I finally have time to drive around and see some of the further-out displays. In the past, I've found it a crap shoot -- some displays are still on, some are off, and a few are "partially on", oddly enough. I think most people still consider it the Christmas Season through new years...

I've traditionally been a "Thanksgiving through New Years" guy, but more recently have changed it to Dec 1 to New Years Eve, to give me more setup time, and use New Years Day for tear-down.

-Tim

I leave mine on through the new year. Partially because I am busy with family and work. But I like getting a few more weeks of joy out of it. This year it will probably be up until the 2nd week of '07 because I am going on vacation.

first year here.

I plan on running until after news years likely the 6th, a Nighborhood consensus really. The nieghbors have indicated to me what time to run as follows,
weekdays until eleven 30 this weekend and during the christmas week, and after midnight on weekends.

I also get special requests for running them odd hours and I really don't mind, for instance a little girl is passing through town here the night after next at 1:30 AM so we will be up and running for her. Plus if it was up to the nieghbors we would be 24 7.

tomorrow is when they do a meter reading which might change my whole outlook on this LOL

but after that it will be pack up time. and start preparing for next year. LOL

This is my first year with LOR and D-Light, so I can't claim "tradition" but I'll go until the 12th day of Christmas (it isn't just a silly song, Christmas really is 12 days long).

The night of January 5th (after 10pm) will be when I go dark. We never take down a tree until then, either.

As far as your Poll goes, you didn't give me a choice!

Here in México we have like 2 more weeks of celebration after christmas... it goes New Year, and then January 5th and 6th is the (Día de reyes) Three Wise men day, that´s a very strong tradition and kids expect toys from the kings under the tree... it´s like having christmas but twice!! hehehehe, that´s why here in México we call this season "Guadalupe-Reyes Marathon", because it starts on December 12th celebrating the Guadalupe Virgen and ends on the Three Wise men (3 reyes magos).

So we turn off everything and start cleaning like the next weekend from the "dia de reyes".

Hope it helps.

:happytree:Polita

My family always waited till at least after New Years. My wife was one of those who everything came down the 26th of Decemeber. BUT, the has recently changed her mind with our new found fame in our area. So it will be New Years.

Ours will go through the night of 12/29. This gives me all day Saturday to take down and a little time on Sunday. Then I can just relax on New Years Day.

We never have stuff out on NYE anymore - too much risk of vandalism.