Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB strips VS LED ropelights

dito

I think the resin coated ones are fine, just wanted to point out the difference.
ebays on top, Ray Wu's on bottom.

Attached files 305250=16748-IMG_2041.JPG

Does anyone leave their 5050's outdoors full time/year round? I live in a climate where it can be 100degrees (easily 90's) for most of the summer, and a little rain in the winter (no snow). I'm thinking the heat might dry up the strip and I'll end up with cracking on the circuit board/ strips. I think Ray Wu's should be safe from the water as they are double protected. any advice?

Is this correct?
typical LED lightrope = 1" spacing
5050 150LED = 5Meter/150LED =196"/150LED = 1.33" spacing
5050 300LED = 5Meter/300LED =196"/300LED = .65" spacing

I think I need some clarification on something. You can go from the USB adaptor to a DMX controller such as the 27 channel from Ray Wu? what's the purpose of the Entec? I believe it's in place of the USB adaptor? What are the differences in use?

So you can use speaker wire for these strips?

dito wrote:

here's a link to some 4 wire/speaker wire CL2 rated 100' for less. I've been buying from Monoprice for a long time and trust their products. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

The speaker wire (4-wire) is for power to the 5050 strip (i think/ from the power supply)? someone please correct me if i am wrong since i am not sure, but that's what i deduced. i would love to see photos or a diagram of how all this is put together. i'm starting to think sticking with NON RGB LED's is easier.

Carl S wrote:

So you can use speaker wire for these strips?

dito wrote:
here's a link to some 4 wire/speaker wire CL2 rated 100' for less. I've been buying from Monoprice for a long time and trust their products. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

scubado wrote:

I think I need some clarification on something. You can go from the USB adaptor to a DMX controller such as the 27 channel from Ray Wu? what's the purpose of the Entec? I believe it's in place of the USB adaptor? What are the differences in use?

scubado the LOR USB485 adaptor when used for a DMX universe can be wired straight to the 27 channel DMX controller and you dont need the Entec.