Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pumpkins

ShaggySS

No not the singing ones

So everyone says they wished the would have started on there display sooner than they did. I decided to start planning out my Halloween and I had this great idea. I bought one of those $15 plastic pumpkins with the single C9 light which isn't really bright enough. So I took a RGB strip cut 2ft off of it and glued it on the inside of the pumpkin. Came out very cool so I thought I would share the video

Looks pretty creepy! I bought a led color changing puck to stick in my real pumpkin, it looked pretty cool and without using any channels. You could probably get away with using just one or two pixels.

Thanks. I considered just using pixels and I may still but I wanted them to be super bright and I love the effect you get having lights all the way around vs just lights at the bottom or just lights at the top. For halloween this past year I put red lights up top and yellow lights at the bottom and it gave it a cool effect. Ill have to see if I have any pictures.

Last year we had a bunch of people that put a Rainbow Spotlight inside their pumpkins for some really neat effects too.

Certainly not your mothers jack o' lantern...:P

Greg

Dont forget Kevins pumpkins as well. I think these are the Funkins but not 100% certain on that yet. Im planning 8 of these where my mini trees were last year. If you havent seen his videos you will see they throw out plenty of light.

attachment.php?id=15038

hdracer wrote:

Where do you buy the pumpkin itself with a c9?
Thanks
Johnny

I've never seen one with a C9, usually always a C7 bulb, sometimes they are clear, sometimes orange, sometimes they are a flasher type bulb.

I've bought various sizes and shapes (pre-cut) at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Target, Michael's Crafts and Wal-Greens that were sometimes battery operated and converted over to a C7 socket and bulb for use with my LOR CTB16PC controllers.

If I want to buy and cut them out myself, then I'll go to places like Michaeals Crafts or Hobby Lobby to get them.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Dont forget Kevins pumpkins as well.  I think these are the Funkins but not 100% certain on that yet.  Im planning 8 of these where my mini trees were last year.  If you havent seen his videos you will see they throw out plenty of light.

attachment.php?id=15038

I do remember his and I liked the idea but he did comment on them not being bright enough. I don't think ill have that problem.

They may be C9 or C7 I forget to be honest but I found them at Target. Thave have small medium and large sadly all three use the same single bulb. I considered making my own but I had lots of them from my clearance shopping over the past several years. Must be up to about 20 of them now.

Wait what happened to the edit button?

I did just notice on Kevins that he is running the wire down the pipe that holds it up. Why didn't I think of that. I have been running mine out the back and zip tying them to the support.

If I want to "RGB", actually mine would be "COP {Clear, Orange and Purple}" my Funkins or Jack O' Lanterns using C7's, I just cut two more holes in the pumpkin, add two more C7 sockets and put in a Clear C7, an Orange C7 and a Purple C7 utilizing 3 channels. Haven't done this as yet, but it's been something on my mind to do with the medium to large Funkins I have. The smaller ones would probably just be orange and purple C7's since I don't think they have enough room for 3 bulbs in there. That is if I ever do go this route.

ShaggySS wrote:

I did just notice on Kevins that he is running the wire down the pipe that holds it up. Why didn't I think of that. I have been running mine out the back and zip tying them to the support.

That wasn't the only reason I ran the wire down the pipe....hiding at the bottom.

Attached files 305734=16779-photo1.JPG

Cracker wrote:

ShaggySS wrote:

That wasn't the only reason I ran the wire down the pipe....hiding at the bottom.

Must not get a lot of rain there in southern Cali?

Also in your thread you mentioned you were worried about light but you were pleased with the output at night. Are there any changes you plan on doing to these this year? Also hate to steal ideas or reverse share them but those are the larger Funkins are they not?

Kevin: ...been racking my head on this and just have to ask. I'm assuming you had a cover on the electrical box containing the DMX module - how did you get your pumpkin stakes to stand up in the yard and not fall over? Maybe I'm just missing something. Thanks.

Brandon,
Not sure how Kevin did it but I just took a 1.5ft piece of rebar tapped it into the lawn and stuck the PVC over it. The only problem I had was in the wind it sometimes turned the pumpkins so the face wasn't facing forward.

Scott

ShaggySS wrote:

Brandon,
Not sure how Kevin did it but I just took a 1.5ft piece of rebar tapped it into the lawn and stuck the PVC over it. The only problem I had was in the wind it sometimes turned the pumpkins so the face wasn't facing forward.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I use rebar too but wasn't exactly sure how that would work if you put a cover over the electrical box in Kevin's picture - wouldn't that cap the access to the end of the pvc pipe? Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last time, I'm sure. I really like the idea of keeping my DMX modules out of site and out of the weather.
The electrical box looks perfect for this.

I did as Scott stated. Pounted small rebar in the lawn and used the same PVC pipe as the wire used. The electric box is actually a mount for ceiling fans. There is no cover. I hot glue the DMX controller to the bottom of the box. It keeps it from actual sitting in the grass. The open side of the box faces the ground. Being in SoCal...I'm not too worried about rain.