Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Lights

Guest guest

What kind of strobe lights should I use with my LOR system? I saw curtain strobe lights with C9 sockets online -- can those be used? What do the experts recommend and where can I get them?

I used those C9 strobes and they are awesome! I have 208 LOR channels. The only thing about strobes is they don't like short on or off's. So, no fades, no twinkle and no shimmer when programming strobes. You can check them out on my website at:

dearingdazzle.com

I got the strobes (after seeing them on Planet Christmas) at ChristmasLightShow.com.

Attached files 107732=6466-clyde-dearings-christmas-200

:waycool:My wife and I are buying 128 channel LOR kit. I hope I can make my light show half as nice as yours. I think the hard part will be to synchronize music to lights, hope we can figure the software out. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I put flood lights in the attic and one in my master bedroom closet (window on the far right). I use them for accents in certain parts of songs. I try to keep the time "on" to a minimum because they are REALLY bright and can take away from the lights in the yard. BUT, everyone loved them and they are very unique. They look great coupled with the strobes in the mega tree and yard strobes.

Clyde Dearing

Attached files 112521=6750-clyde-dearings-christmas-200

Yes, I have them on my website at DearingDazzle.com. There is a link under the pictures at the top of the home page and also a link (Dearing Dazzle 2006 Videos and Pics) at the bottom of the page. As I type I am working on some newer (just a little bit better) videos that I hope to have posted any night now.

http://www.dearingdazzle.com

Hey Harold!

You won't believe this but my wife and I were driving back home from Austin, Texas last July or August and saw a little road side plant nursery and they had some wire shaped yard ornaments stashed on the side of their building. I got both stars (the mega tree star is 4' tall and the pole star is close to 24") for around $70 with lights.

They were exactly what I was looking for. Is that lucky or what??????????

The ones I bought from ChristmasLightShow.com (they are sold out now) worked perfectly the whole season without a failure. They were already modified for quicker strobe time and they had a C-9 base so it was easy to make a custom cable for them out of old C-9 strands. All I had to do after making the cables was just screw them in and let 'em rip!!!!! Check out my videos at:

http://www.dearingdazzle.com

Clyde!

Awesome display! I like the flood idea! Consider it borrowed.

What is the candy cane looking light going up to the star?

Thanks!

Kevin (another gray lover - "Blend of Honey" - now a senior)

Attached files 112986=6767-Honey 010.jpg

We call it the Pole Tree. It's a large (45') pine tree. We wrapped each band of lights with 300 lights (three strings). Each band is 12" and the star is almost 24". Soooo, the lights sequence 16' up and down the tree. It's an awesome effect!

As you can see in this pic we also used an even bigger pine tree to anchor the Mega Tree. I had to stand on the top of a 28' ladder, hanging on to the tree to secure the pulley system. That was scary!!! It doesn't look like it but the star is 4' tall!

Is Honey a full size grey hound? Whippet?

Attached files 112992=6768-clyde-dearings-christmas-200

Yeah, I definitely need one of those!!!!

I checked out your website. You are crazier than I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see we both have an FM 100B so we can't be all bad! I wished you lived closer so I could come check out your Merry Christmas sign. That is bad to the bone!!!!!!!! I know you can cut and paste rope lights but I have never done it. Gotta be some tricks to it. Anyhow, good job.

Can't believe the season is over. At 5:30pm I still want to rush out, set up the FM signs, put out and fill up the bubble machines and the smoke machine, crank up the blow-ups and fire up the sound system, radio and computer. My wife said I can't talk or work on Christmas lights for two months. Luckily, she goes to bed early!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk at ya later!

Clyde

Awesome. You did 200+ channels on your first year? There's nothing like jumping in with both feet!

I like the strobes on the mega tree. It's an easy way to add randomness without a lot of channels.

Yup - Crazy:D Crazy:D Crazy:D....

We learned sooooo much this year. We can't wait for next Christmas. Now that my whole family has seen what happens when you do something like this they now want to plan for bigger and better. Ideas that they were saying "No Way" last year are now going to happen;).

I'm still tring to get finished videos up but I'll have to wait for a software update.

Well, I bought 13 boards, 16 channels each for a total of 208 channels but I wound up keeping one board for a spare (which was never needed) so actually I ran 192 channels. We, of course, were going to start out small but my wife and I kept thinking up more cool stuff to do. And when we added color to the mega tree that really jumped it (64 channels plus one for the star)!!!

The strobes are awesome!!! We went "live" before I could get the custom strobe cables finished and the display looked good but when I got the strobes going it put the daz in the dazzle!!!!!!!

I just saw the little video clip from christmaslightshow.com (on the strobe page) where the shooting star comes over the house and explodes in the yard (strobes simulating the explosion) and it looks great!!!!! Looks like I need to steal another idea!!!

Clyde