Light-O-Rama Forums

Seasonal entertainments led string review

bretk

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
Orville wrote:
Firmware in my CTB16PC Controllers:

GEN 1 Board: FW: 4.32 (no further FW update for this controller that I've seen.)

GEN 2 Boards: FW: 4.40 (haven't seen any further FW updates for these controllers.)

And I do keep watching for any additional firmware updates for them.

What version is your boards? V1, V2, V5, or etc.

1 = V1

4 = V2

That's what I was calling GEN 1 and GEN 2 boards.

And... that's where you were wrong. ;)

Well it would not have been in my line of work.

So then what's the difference here? I need to know so I don't incorrectly identify the way LOR identifies their PCB's.

Guest wbottomley

Orville wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
Orville wrote:

GEN 1 Board: FW: 4.32 (no further FW update for this controller that I've seen.)

GEN 2 Boards: FW: 4.40 (haven't seen any further FW updates for these controllers.)

1 = V1

4 = V2

So then what's the difference here?    I need to know so I don't incorrectly identify the way LOR identifies  their PCB's.

Each version had a subtle change to the hardware. That's why some have different versions of firmware. Of course, the biggest change is the Gen2 V4 controllers.

CTB16PCGen3Card.jpg

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
Orville wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
Orville wrote:

1 = V1

4 = V2

So then what's the difference here? I need to know so I don't incorrectly identify the way LOR identifies their PCB's.

Each version had a subtle change to the hardware. That's why some have different versions of firmware. Of course, the biggest change is the Gen2 V4 controllers.

CTB16PCGen3Card.jpg

Very nice. Really like those "backlit Triacs", they show up so nicely in the photo.:)

Sorry, just couldn't resist that one William.:D

Orville,

Thanks for the video. Although very difficult to see, I can certainly see what you are saying. I can say that we didn't experience any of that with our testing.

It is interesting that in your video you have another purple strand plugged in. If you look, see how much longer our lights last in the fade. When your purple strand is off, the white strand is still fading down. The extra large rectifiers keep the strands on much longer and help give you as complete of a fade as possible.

The lights are still on sale and people have been buying them up. Make sure you get your order in today!

Yes, the purples are there because I was working on something prior with them. So I just left them plugged in. Although I did unplug them when I first tested your LED strand and they did the same thing without anything other than them connected to the controller.

I do agree, they come on a lot earlier (around 5% intensity) and stay on longer than the purples {which usually won't come on 'til about 15% intensity}, the purples fade off at around 15% as well. The purples I think are half-wave, no rectifiers on them anywhere, but neither do the orange M5 types that are usually in the mix with them for my Halloween display.

As stated, I tried them on a V1 and 3 other V2 boards (which I mistakenly called Gen 1 and Gen 2) and they did the same thing. The video was taken using a V2 board.

wbottomley wrote:

You should see them with Greg's LED's. Man-o-man! Do they look great or what?

Even those Warm White's I got lit my non-backlit Triacs very well and inside the controller box very well!

Funny story about that, after you asked about the version of the boards, I'm looking all over the house for my flashlight so I can look inside the controller box since it was dark and the regular house lights just didn't cut it. So I spend about an hour locating the flashlight (White LED type) and wouldn't you know it, it needs new batteries.

So I say S**T!, Now how am I going to look in there and see anything? And then after all that I go, oh damn, I'm such an idiot, there were some nice bright white LED's right there all the time I could have used. So I run the HW Utility and used the white LED strand to peer into the controllers to get the information. {just thought you'd get a kick out of that one! Yea, I know probably opened myself up for some recourse on that one. ROFL}