Light-O-Rama Forums

Used LOR 1602W Cpntroller with DC-MP3

Lightson

I am a newbie to LOR, I acquired a used 1602w 16 channel controller with the MP3 director installed. I was told the controller was three years old, but only used for one season. The software disk that the seller included is a version 1.6.9 that he thought could be upgraded for free. That didn't seem to work for me so trying to find out if I need to just procure the new software? Also, since this controller is approximately three years old, do I need to upgrade the firmware for the controller and also for the MP3 director? Will this unit still be compatible if I get another 16 channel controller? Thanks for any info?

All Light-O-Rama controllers are compatible with each other, so you don't need to worry about that.

While you don't *need* to update the firmware, it might be helpful to do so. Some of the early versions of firmware do not support all of the lighting effects in the newer versions of software.

The MP3 Director, in my opinion, should be updated to the most recent firmware version available. There have been many improvements made to the director firmware.

I think the LOR1 -> LOR2 free upgrade was for original license holders. Not sure if that upgrade offer is/was transferable (but I don't think it would be.) I would probably go ahead and purchase the software. (Though, worth noting the demo version of the software will do everything except control the lights, so if you wanted/needed to wait a bit to buy the software, you could at least be learning the software.)

Thanks Don I appreciate the guidance. I'm thinking that since I would really like to start this year with 32 channels it would perhaps be best to get my next controller as a "starter package" that would include the required pc adapters and latest software. Once I have the proper connections I will also upgrade at least the MP3 director firmware. Also, I am not muciscally inclined, but have been exploring the the demo software and toyed around with doing a 32 channel setup. Any advice on how to easily acquire the proper beats to music? I tried the tapper wizard with the demo software, but the timing cells are always the same size (unless that doesn't matter), perhaps I don't tap fast enough during segments that the music seems to pick-up or when there are drum rolls, etc. That being said, I'd like to also know some thoughts from the community regarding the pre-made sequences that I see all over the web for sale. Do you purchase them and then just connect your fixtures and lighting to the channels in the sequence that is already made. I haven't seen a good explanation of what one is really purchasing.

You might do a quick test just to make sure the Tapper Wizard is working correctly. Fire up the Tapper Wizard, but turn down the sound. (Won't need it for this test.) Once started, tap a few times, then wait 5 seconds. Now tap again. Apply the Taps to the sequence. If you don't see a 5 second gap where you waited 5 seconds, something isn't working right.

I would also suggest the Beat Wizard. For a lot of songs the Beat Wizard will do a very good job of finding the beats for you. (I tend to use it a lot on my personal display, and my commercial clients.)

When it comes to purchased sequences, you will most likely want to re-arrange the channels/events some to suit your own display. As for what you are purchasing; in most cases it's just the sequence, and not the audio. (Unless the person selling the sequence has the rights to sell the audio as well. If that's the case, it should be mentioned by the seller.)

Lightson wrote:

Thanks Don I appreciate the guidance. I'm thinking that since I would really like to start this year with 32 channels it would perhaps be best to get my next controller as a "starter package" that would include the required pc adapters and latest software. Once I have the proper connections I will also upgrade at least the MP3 director firmware. Also, I am not muciscally inclined, but have been exploring the the demo software and toyed around with doing a 32 channel setup. Any advice on how to easily acquire the proper beats to music? I tried the tapper wizard with the demo software, but the timing cells are always the same size (unless that doesn't matter), perhaps I don't tap fast enough during segments that the music seems to pick-up or when there are drum rolls, etc. That being said, I'd like to also know some thoughts from the community regarding the pre-made sequences that I see all over the web for sale. Do you purchase them and then just connect your fixtures and lighting to the channels in the sequence that is already made. I haven't seen a good explanation of what one is really purchasing.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying with the tapper, but what it does is insert a single block in the sequence when you tap. I usually create an "empty" channel(s) in the sequence and insert the tap marks in that empty row. These act as timing marks for manually sequencing to. These lets you "see" the key beats so it helps you to know to turn on or off at those points. That is how I use it anyway.

Guest wbottomley

Lightson wrote:

I'd like to also know some thoughts from the community regarding the pre-made sequences that I see all over the web for sale.  Do you purchase them and then just connect your fixtures and lighting to the channels in the sequence that is already made.  I haven't seen a good explanation of what one is really purchasing.

I see more free ones than ones for sale. Download a free one and give it a shot.

This thread will explain a lot: http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/26004.html

Thanks all. Appreciate the tips and advice, I can see that I have lots to investigate, research and learn, hopefully some of it before it is Chistmas 2012

Lightson, now is the time to be sorting through all this. Start laying out your channel configuration (what lights you are controlling), and play around with making a sequence.

I'm in Dillsburg. If you feel the need to sit down and talk about all this, just yell. I figured you lived nearby when you got the unit so quickly (I was the winner of the non-MP3 director unit).