Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting back up- need help upgrading

Michael B

Hi all!

Took a year off from our wonderful hobby. Only did a small static display last year. Looking forward to upgrading my software this year and redesigning my display. I'm had 32 ch of LOR with LOR 2. My computer crashed in 2010 and lost everything. Recover it. I have a new computer, but all my work is on the old hard drive. My friend is going to download it to my computer soon.

Do I have to have LOR software on this computer before I upgrade? Which LOR 3 do I choose? I'm not going to use DMX. I don't have any CCRs. I will use incandescent lights with a few LEDs and strobes. I may get 16 more channels, not sure. What kind of firmware upgrade will I need?

Thanks and I am looking forward to learning from you. I'm on FB, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beason-Familys-Forest-of-Lights/216829335072696

Please Like my page to follow my progress this year. Thanks again,

Michael

Firmware is in the controller, as Bob said in the past if its not broke dont fix it.

As for software my advice is go all out on the Advanced. You may get back into it and only go 32-48 channels, next year you may want 800. Your old software license would still work you just need to get S2 on the new computer.

I agree that the Advanced level is the way to go.

Contrary to Goofy's post, you do not need to first load S2 on your new computer. You can simply load S3. All your existing sequences will play just fine.

George Simmons wrote:

I agree that the Advanced level is the way to go.

Contrary to Goofy's post, you do not need to first load S2 on your new computer. You can simply load S3. All your existing sequences will play just fine.

Stating he did not need to upgrade for his expectations. Not that he needs S2 loaded to get S3.

Michael B wrote:

Hi all!

Took a year off from our wonderful hobby. Only did a small static display last year. Looking forward to upgrading my software this year and redesigning my display. I'm had 32 ch of LOR with LOR 2. My computer crashed in 2010 and lost everything. Recover it. I have a new computer, but all my work is on the old hard drive. My friend is going to download it to my computer soon.

Do I have to have LOR software on this computer before I upgrade? Which LOR 3 do I choose? I'm not going to use DMX. I don't have any CCRs. I will use incandescent lights with a few LEDs and strobes. I may get 16 more channels, not sure. What kind of firmware upgrade will I need?

Thanks and I am looking forward to learning from you. I'm on FB, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beason-Familys-Forest-of-Lights/216829335072696

Please Like my page to follow my progress this year. Thanks again,

Michael

If I am not mistaken you have an S2 advanced license (grandfathered into it, I am guessing)

Either way a 'renew' of your S2 license will give you S3 at whatever level you were at with S2.

This page should help you figure out what license level you had with S2 and give you info on renewing, or upgrading, or purchasing a superstar license.

BTW if you think you want the superstar license just get it and it includes a renew to S3 from S2.

Guest wbottomley

Michael B wrote:

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. If anyone has any other hints or tips please let me know.

Pack your controllers up and send them to me. In return, I will send a thank you card with lots of warm wishes and a Happy 2012. :)

wbottomley wrote:

Michael B wrote:
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. If anyone has any other hints or tips please let me know.

Pack your controllers up and send them to me. In return, I will send a thank you card with lots of warm wishes and a Happy 2012. :)

Sure, what a great tip William. They are in the mail. You should receive them before something freezes over.... :)LOL!!!!

Welcome back Michael, I think William didn't give you his new address. He now live in Burgaw. Just send it to the post office, they know where I. I mean he lives.

I don't have William's facebook page, But he was taking or sharing links to other lights display. He can correct me, again.