Light-O-Rama Forums

Dancing Arches

Ozemate

Ozemate wrote:

I am about to make a set of 3 arches my question is
1 . What is the best number of segments to use

**Some say an even amount...some say an odd amount...I like odd so you can have a "Section" at the top in case you want to start there and go to eithe rend.**

2 . What is the best length of the arch to give the best effect

**That depends on diameter of PVC you use and Bulb count in the strings. With a 3/4" PVC and 100ct string (which I think most of us use), you will get between 16" - 18" of coverage...again a lot depends on how you wrap the PVC. Best way is to get a piece of PVC and wrap it and see if you like how it looks.**

Thanks in Advance

Your Welcome in Regress :)

I used 4 sections. To the trained eye you can tell a difference but for the average viewer, they will never know. Saves on channels.
I will have 200+ channels next year and I have no plans of adding channels to my arches.

I have to rethink my Arches, I was going to do a 3 colour 5050 led string so i can change the colours but have worked it out to be 1 controller per Arch x 3 archers 3 controllers puts the price tag about $350 just for the arches, if I do this better not tell the wife.

I think most use 10' length of PVC in order to avoid needing a joint for anything longer.

While on the topic, this is useful method that many have used in recent years:

Arch Sleeves

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I think most use 10' length of PVC in order to avoid needing a joint for anything longer.

While on the topic, this is useful method that many have used in recent years:

Arch Sleeves

I am also going to be adding arches this year...have been reading a lot on them. I just looked at the links above,I am going to do the sleeve medthod..seems like a good idea to be able to change colors or be able to use them on fire stick poles also. My question is..will the arches look segmented??

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Shouldn't have any gaps as long as you wrap each segment to the end.
You can see mine done this way in one of my videos (7ch arches, 50 ct per segment):

Wow off the hook...thay look great for only having 50 ct. per string!!going to start my arches this weekend.Did you do them on 3/4" pvc?? also how long 10'??your house looks great!Where you using spots on the house?

I've built two for my first ever, this coming Christmas. Each were "1/2 x '10, staked with rebar to the ground. I put on 8 strings of 100 Incans each, single color and of course the two will consume 16 channels. If I can afford too in the future, I'll get some CCR's.

I have 4 arches for 2011, and I will be doing another show at my uncles house, and I will be adding 4 arches to that show. And all of my arches are made out of 10' length 1" PVC and each one I left 6" at each end without lights (this is so the snow doesn't cause any problems with the lights). Each arch is 8 sections and each section is about 13.5" in length, which is about right when you are using 100ct minis.

This is just the way I made mine, but no two are the same.

Just doing some quick math for arches:
8 segments with 1 color LED
8 x 50 ct LED = $60
1/2 LOR Controller = $100
PVC etc = $40

Total cost = $200

8 segments with 2 color LED
8 x 50 ct LED = $120
1/2 LOR Controller = $200
PVC etc = $40

Total cost = $360

1 CCR = $249
PVC etc = $40

Wouldn't CCR Arches be the most cost effective if doing more than 1 color?

This year I had 4 arches .. 6 sections each. 2400 c6 bulbs total and 24 channels !!

I am converting them to 2 CCRs .. cut in half to make 4 CCR arches. The 2400 c6s are being migrated to driveway arches.

With the CCRs having their own controllers it frees up the 24 channels ... 1 whole controller is now free that I can use for the new driveway arches.

Save a bit of money and have 2 new BIG changes to the show and don't have to add any new controllers !!

Dave