Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie, First Mega-Tree

dgrant

I've created my first '15 mega-tree. Yes, I even assembled it in the entry way of my house to test the assembly and hang the 32 strings of Multi-LED's and connected them to indvidual controllers. I'm just not happy with sequencing vertical strings around the tree and its not having the effects I was hoping to generate. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a ton of CCR's for a tree even though it would be nice to do, so my thought was to use 16 stings going one spiral direction and another 16 going the opposite spiral direction. How do others here achive some of the nice effects I've seen in so many video's without using hundreds of channels/strings on the mega-tree alone? Secrets or suggestions?

I built a hybrid tree. Inside Mega 8 channels, outside spiral 16 channels. The inside is 12' the spiral 15'. You can see it in my video here.

I also have a walk-thru of my build of the spiral tree on my website testraub.us Bottom of the main page.

Tom Straub

Your's were indeed very nice. I wasn't able to proceed to spiraling the strings in my entry way as I'm still waiting on wire-rope to arrive and I didn't think the lady of the house would appeciate this tree up for more than a day.

So hanging your strings, did you alternate each string path or hang half of them one direction then the other half the opposite direction as you worked your way around?

The center tree was made with 32 strings, 16 blue and 16 green. The blue going one way and the green going the other way.Here is the video.

Earle

testraub wrote:

I built a hybrid tree. Inside Mega 8 channels, outside spiral 16 channels. The inside is 12' the spiral 15'. You can see it in my video here. http://vimeo.com/33302164

I also have a walk-thru of my build of the spiral tree on my website testraub.us Bottom of the main page.

Tom Straub
how did you build this? did you need a lift?

caniac wrote:

testraub wrote:
I built a hybrid tree. Inside Mega 8 channels, outside spiral 16 channels. The inside is 12' the spiral 15'. You can see it in my video here. http://vimeo.com/33302164

Tom Straub
how did  you build this?  did you need a lift?

Nope, just several hours of walking in circles around the tree, after getting the inside in place. Working on an easier way, but it's still in the planning stage.

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

caniac wrote:
testraub wrote:

Tom Straub
how did you build this? did you need a lift?

Nope, just several hours of walking in circles around the tree, after getting the inside in place. Working on an easier way, but it's still in the planning stage.

Tom Straub
R u like me and get dizzy doing that? LOL