Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie questions

grahami2006

I have decided that 2012 will be different than normal and have looked at various sites for automated light controllers.
I have a couple of questions.
What do I need besides the controller and software?
Can I use my lights that I have been using? These are both incandesant and LED.
Do I need speakers for the music?
Sorry if it sounds that I am dumb but just want to get everything right.
Thanks
Graham

Welcome to our madness!

Besides the controllers and software you'll need cat5 cable to connect the controllers and plenty of extension cords. An FM transmitter would be a nice addition. Yes you can use your existing lights. Speakers for the music is a nice touch but a transmitter is a better option if you have neighbors.

Don't worry about sounding dumb - the rest of us don't...

You'll also need a USB485 connector from LOR to connect your computer to the controllers if you use the ctb16pc controllers.

welcome to this addictive but rewarding hobby. all the other posters has given you great info, all the hardware and software you need can be purchased as a starter kit and the software will be discounted. tons of extension cords

George Simmons wrote:

A discount card from your favorite liquor store will help also...

George,
I am laughing sooo much I can hardly type.
Great advice,I think I spent at least one controllers worth at my favorite liquor store.

grahami2006 wrote:

I have decided that 2012 will be different than normal and have looked at various sites for automated light controllers.
I have a couple of questions.

What do I need besides the controller and software? LOTS of extension cords. Don't underestimate this. LOTS, AND LOTS, AND LOTS.

Can I use my lights that I have been using? These are both incandesant and LED. YES

Do I need speakers for the music? No, you don't need them. Most of us use speakers so the folks walking by or want to get out of their car, can still hear the music.

Sorry if it sounds that I am dumb but just want to get everything right.
Thanks
Graham

There are no DUMB questions. Asking questions, AND careful planning is the only way that you'll be prepared for Christmas 2012.

... and don't forget extension cords. :P

I'm being serious, here .. you'll need many, many more extension cords than you think you will. Many of us buy them year round every time we go to a store that sells them. A few here, a few there, eventually it adds up. Try to catch them on sale if you can, 'cause you'll need 'em.

I have 128 channels and if I laid my extension cords end-to-end, they'd extend well over 1.5 miles. Larger gauge ones to carry current to your controllers, and smaller ones to go from each outlet on your controller(s) to the item to be controlled.

Remember, you can have too few extension cords, but you'll never have too many. Don't think it's possible.

You can also download the software and start playing with it before you buy a license. It may help you decide how many channels you'll think you want to start with and help determine what software level you want. It's cheaper if you get advanced rightaway, unless you know you can stick with no more than 32 channels.