Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter problems

Guest guest

:{ Boy I feel so dumb asking some of these questions, but I've got to get help somewhere. I bought a Ramsey FM25B transmitter from someone who put together the kit and sold it to me. So far he hasn't returned my email. I selected a station per the book's instructions. I'm pretty sure it said to connect the computers audio out to the Ramsey's audio in put. Is this correct? If so, here's my problem. My computer, fairly new HP, has an audio out that only has one plug-in hole, I forget the name of this type connector, and it won't accept the two rca type jacks that came with the kit. Do I need some type of adapter? I tried plugging the red and white rca jacks into the computer's audio in( in case I read the instructions incorrectly) I turned on the radio station and the reception was very bad and very very low. So what's the proper connection and what do I need to check or adjust. Thanks !

Texian,

Your Ramsey has a 1/8" mini-stereo input jack and your HP has a 1/8" mini-stereo output jack (normally green). You just need a cable with male 1/8" mini-stereo ends. Can pick up various lengths at a Radio Shack or that type store.

Joe

;) Update ! I found an rca 2 to 1 converter plug in my electrical cemetery ! By jove, I believe it is working properly now. So to other newbies like me, you need to get a converter plug. I wish Ramsey, or the kit construction guy would have mentioned that someplace. Alls well that ends well !

Ok, idont have one but i am a tech geek so....

you are wright. '(to connect the computers audio out to the Ramsey's audio in put.)' that is right.

on ramsy's web it said it came with '(1/8" Stereo to RCA patch cable )' what you need is a (1/8" Stereo jack to RCA adapter), will get it working. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103710&cp=&origkw=1%2F8+stereo+rca&kw=1%2F8+stereo+rca&parentPage=search

OR

(1/8" Stereo jack to 1/8" Stereo jack) http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102949&cp=&origkw=1%2F8%22+Stereo&kw=1%2F8+stereo&parentPage=search

Radio Shack also as/had a RCA filter that removes 60Hz hummm (it is a RCA to RCA part) yo dont need the filter but it is nice to have.

Here is what I did.
In the picture you will see the Radio Shack parts I used.
The "Patch Cable" goes from the "Y" adapter to the Ramsey Transmitter.
The other side of the "Y" adapter goes to the computer speakers.
Be careful how loud you make the computer audio output so you don't overdrive the FM transmitter. There are controls inside the transmitter for setting the audio level also.

Hope this helps!

Attached files 106507=6392-Audio Adapter.jpg

Interesting.... The FM25B that I bought has an audio in/out loop, so I just bought (2) 1/8" to 1/8" cables. The first cable goes from the PC audio out to the Ramsey audio in, the second cable goes from the Ramsey audio out to the PC speaker input. Guess the Y-splitter idea works also.....

Rockhound wrote:

Interesting.... The FM25B that I bought has an audio in/out loop, so I just bought (2) 1/8" to 1/8" cables. The first cable goes from the PC audio out to the Ramsey audio in, the second cable goes from the Ramsey audio out to the PC speaker input. Guess the Y-splitter idea works also.....

You are correct about the Ramsey FM Transmitter.
My situation is a little different.
My transmitter is located on a different floor of the house to get better range so I was not able to use the in/out loop feature.
I built a long audio cable to reach my second floor.
I forgot to mention that in my previous post. :)