Light-O-Rama Forums

Complete setup questions for RGB 6803 Strips.

johnson8ryley

This is sort of a check-up-post to see with if you guys, the forum members, agree that this setup is possible and to see if I have anything wrong. I plan on replacing my 3 arches with RGB strips next year and I just don't want to go spend $$$ and then figure out "oh, it doesnt work". So for starters, I'm getting the enttec open. Then, for the controller, I'm buying this package: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/491662850-5m-DC12V-LPD6803-digital-led-flexible-strip-with-DMX-LPD6803-controller-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-wholesalers.html Then instead of buying 2 more of those packages, I decided to stick with buying 2 of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-306378431/LED-Digital-strip-with-WS6803-IC-30pcs-5050-SMD-per-meter-DC12V-input-with-silicon-tubing.html Then it took me a while, but I figured out I needed some data repeaters/amplifiers to connect the first string to the other 2 and not have a signal drop. Now, my question is, whats the difference between this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270886850045?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3745wt_1165 and this one: http://www.creativelightings.com/RGB-Power-Extension-Block-12vDC-p/cl-led-ctrl-amp.htm but am I even able to use those? I plan on the setup going computer>enttec open>controller>6803 strip>amplifier>6803 strip>amplifier>6803 strip. I believe thats how it would work but I need someone to verify that this will all work. One last question would be, how do I connect the enttec open to the DMX controller? The enttec is 5 pin and the controller is 3 pin & I know that the signals are transferred over cat5 but do I have to convert the cat5 to 3 and 5 pin by wiring? If someone could give me a link that shows step by step on how to wire those together, it'd be much appreciated.

*Just to clarify, I haven't boughten anything yet. I PLAN on buying the items I listed above, just need verification*

I can't directly answer your question as I am just starting to dive into the world of RGB pixels and strips myself, but I would say to do some more research before you order anything.
It seems that I have read that the 6803 styles don't fade as well as other chipsets do, although I am afraid that I have been reading so much lately that I can't give you a direct reference to where I saw that at.
One good source is David Moore's videos over at HolidayCoro.com. Check out video #3 where he compares the 6803 with other like the 1804 as far as color depth and fading capabilities. Very good info on there.

The trouble is that there are so many new types of LEDs coming out now and it is changing very fast so that the information you read today can be totally out of date by next month or even next week for that matter.

You're right, they don't fade as well but in order to save money, I think I'm going to go with the 6803 strip but I might look into 2801 strips more. I've also watched the video where he shows the fading.

I just bought what you are looking at from Ray Wu and they arrived yesterday for me to test with, so hold off until I can test these things.

The two amplifier items you listed are only good for DUMB RGB strips, NOT for the 6803 strips. There's none made for those intelligent strips.

Even though the 6803 type strips don't have smooth color fading, I rarely need it in my display; I just need some preset fast color changes.

If I do need smoother color, I have two options; go with a different type of strip or use the LOR CCR controller and connect it to MY 6803 strip. The LOR controller has smoother color dithering (blending/fading).

aaron i believe ken bought the same package as mine. he pm'd me and said he bought the same 6803 strips

Just built a firestick out of one, check in the dmx area. As far as Rays 6803s make sure you specify you want RGB or you will get BRG which means you need to do a lot of fancy footwork in re assigning your rgb channels in the sequence editor. Not fun, but can be done. You really don't need an amplifier, you can just inject power between strips

Just got through the first part of testing with Ray Wu's 6803 kit and it worked great the first time.

Tried some sequencing and cross-color fades; worked good in the 10%-70% range with very little noticeable "stepping". Below 10% it was slightly noticable but only at slow fade durations over 5 seconds.

Above 70% was very little brightness change.

Running quick color changes under 1/4 second worked great.

This was on a 5050 strip.
I didn't request the RGB sequence when I ordered it, and ended up with a BGR configuration. Easily changed in the Sequence Editor for a couple of channels, but would be tedious for the entire strip. Next time I will order the RGB sequence.

I have a 50 pixel 6803 string to test next.

After that, a Dream Color or Horse Race RGB strip. Basically three dumb RGB strips in one package. Interesting to test, but I don't have my hopes up on discovering anything new or cheap. Only a small cost difference between it and a 6803 strip.

More details later.

Thanks ken for sharing. If you noticed very little stepping in 10% - 70% then I think I'm sold. My concern was that the dimming would be noticeable but thanks for sharing your results and we hope to hear about your string as well