Light-O-Rama Forums

LogMeIn Software

Aaron Maue

All,

I leave for about a week during the Christmas season each year. This year was my first year running LOR and I was nervous that something might happen to the show computer while I was gone and need to be reset (or whatever). Thankfully, I lucked out.

Not planning to rely on luck again next year, I was looking for some remote control software that I could run from almost anywhere, but wasn't interested in paying a bunch for it. I came upon some software called LogMeIn. https://secure.logmein.com/ It allows you to control your computer anywhere you can get an Internet connection. I can even control it with an app I downloaded on my iPad.

Though I haven't used it a lot yet, it appears to be pretty slick. And there's a free version that allows me to do at least everything I want to. Just thought I'd point it out in case anyone else might be interested in such a capability.

I used on called TeamViewer this year and was very pleased with it. Free for non-business use. It also allows the transfer of files, so I could move tweaked sequences from my laptop to the show computer.

Brian

There is also a program called teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com that is free and works really well. They have it for PC, Mac, Lynux and mobile Android/iPhone.

I used logmein before but found teamviewer more to my liking. I'd say give them both a try and see which one you like.

You can also use it to help friends or family when they have computer issues and they can choose just to run it and not install in on their machines

if you have a decent router there is other free options to be able to log in to your pc, using free dns to map whatever ip you might have at a certain time to a static name then something as simple as remote desktop or vnc google vnc it will bring you to a now paid version as the first link or go about 4 links down to tightvnc which is free and works just fine. vnc tends to not cause issues I've noticed with audio or ports vs remote desktop. just my 2 cents

I use Splashtop and it worked well for me. Splashtop can go through your router or the Internet. When you are on the same router as the computer it is very fast. The only problem I had with Splashtop is that you can't use it in a web browser, you need a program or app downloaded.

I use Wyse Pocketcloud (www.pocketcloud.com). It has a newer version of RDS and includes VNC as well.
Also the mouse tool is great for use on smaller screens. There is a free version and a Pro version. It is worth every bit of the $15. It is available for iOS and Android.

Guest wbottomley

I've been using LogMeIn for about 3 years. So far... no problems. I use Drop Box to share files between the home PC and the show PC which is located 1.5 miles away.

Works well.

I've been using LogMeIn to manage 6 computers. I've had no problems with the service. I vaugly remember using the free version before switching to the paid.

I don't think I tried it on my show computer. Best practice would be to have your controller connected and try to remote control it, restart it (provided that you make sure LogMeIn starts automatically) and see if it all works before the free trial expires.

I believe that LogMeIn also has the ability to remotely turn on a PC if that computers BIOS supports it.

Check it out and let us all know.

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

and see if it all works before the free trial expires...

Off the top of my head, I don't think LogMeIn Free is a trial that expires - it just has some limitations to the amount of use, being able to print, etc. Haven't used it in a few years, but worked well when I did. With new iPad apps it might be worth another look.

• 1 month later...

TeamViewer is also my favorite. It seems a lot more reliable than most of the others I have tried. And it works great on my iPhone and iPad.

I do not use LogMeIn for my show, as I am home the entire season, but rather for control of our HMI computer to control a water treatment plant for work. We use the free version, and it is more than suitable for that, and I couldn't imagine anyone needing much more for a show computer. We have had no problems with it.

I use Pro LogMeIn for my main business, the free LogMeIn for Christmas business and the paid app "Ignition" on my IPhone.

All products are great. The IPhone app is especially handy for someone like me who moves around alot.

Charles

We use both of these at work as well not a problem

we also use joinme.com for desktop sharing... a little slow at times but gets the job done

wbottomley wrote:

I've been using LogMeIn for about 3 years. So far... no problems. I use Drop Box to share files between the home PC and the show PC which is located 1.5 miles away.

Works well.