Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer running software

Guest guest

Hello, newb here.... Glad to be part of your community!

I have read the forums all day today and have a question. It looks like the MP3 director is the way to go for me, but if I do run the software on my (fairly new) computer so I can adjust the programming on the fly, can it run in the background, or does it pretty much consume my computer processor for the holiday?

Thanks for any help. I have already bought all the extra lights and and a Ramsey FM transmitter, now I can't wait for the sale/LORII release so I can order my gear!!

Mike

I run the show on an old P2 machine, 233Mhz .. with 128MB ram on Windows 2000. The shows run fine. I've got over 100 channels and don't have any problems.

Needless to say your machine will be more than capable of running the shows.

Using the scheduler uses much less CPU power. I have noticed even with some of the best PC's running the sequencer it can lag out or stick for a split second, especially if you are running the annimation screen.

Just if your not already using the scheduler.

Mike

OK. Thanks guys.

I was just nervous because I had just read a thread where someone said the MP3 director was a good choice if you didn't want to tie your computer up (or something similar). It took my wife long enough to get on board with the LOR stuff, if I take away the computer I may end up in the doghouse.

Mike - I have not even gotten into the software yet, but I will definitely take your advise on using the scheduler. Boy, I've got a lot to learn....

Just be aware that you may have to do some adjusting with your audio.

For example, if your LOR show is running (and audio being generated) and you open email your show may suddenly include "You've Got Mail" or other alert tones.

One morning I kept hearing thunder outside ... with a cloudless sky. Turned out to be the "severe weather alert" tone from my desktop weather monitor!

At the absolute highest, LOR Show peaked the CPU to 12%, but usually closer to 5%.

It's the stray noises that are the problem with using the computer. I have tried to turn off the "clicks" and "beeps" and error message tones, but haven't been completely successful. Turning off some sounds just means that Windows XP substitutes more annoying generic tones instead of the nice ones. If I use the computer to check mail or general surfing, people will hear noise from it on their FM radios.

Unless someone posts a surefire way to kill ALL the stray sounds, you just need to leave it alone.

Gotcha! Sounds like the MP3 director is a very appealing choice to avoid the errant noise issues. Are there any other negatives to the MP3 director besides not being able to adjust the show "on the fly"?

There is a "no sounds" profile available that turns off all Windows systems sounds. Actually, this works for almost all Microsoft programs as Microsoft programs use system event sounds rather than create their own sound.

I have a dedicated PC (400 Mhz, 256 MB ram, Windows 2000) so this works out well.

However, as pointed out before, if you have other non-Microsoft programs (Weather Bug, games, etc) you'll have to turn off the sounds they generate manually.

-r

Hey, this is kinda on topic:

I have a old pc, Im 90% sure i going to use it for my 07 display, though im wondering if anyone knwos the pc requierments for version 2.0

I have my old windows 98 se 400 mhz celeron, 160 mb ram, 30 gb hard drive. It will run the current demo version of lor, but in 2007 we will be using the version 2.0 right? will I need to change computers I use lor on next year?

I have 3 pc's but I use 2 of them most every day, and that leaves my really old one....

Can't find the link or topic reference, but I seem to remember that the hardware specs didn't change, but it required a minimum of Windows 98 SE -- plain old Windows 98 is no longer supported.

I turned off all sounds on my computer and works great. But, if you use a dial up like AOL, it still has the screaching modum sound and other sounds. I haven't been able to get rid of them so I don't go on-line during the show (at the location the show is at).

Hope that helps.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

To turn off the modem sounds you need to add AT&FM0 (that is a zero) to the init string for the modem. It has been years since I have done it so I cannot spell out the procedure here. I think you just get to it through control panel>Modems. It is very simple though.

Russ wrote:

Can't find the link or topic reference, but I seem to remember that the hardware specs didn't change, but it required a minimum of Windows 98 SE -- plain old Windows 98 is no longer supported.

Russ is correct. LOR II requires Windows 98 SE...