Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral or CCR Tree

trafficman

I have seen many of them on here of each. Looks to me the cost is about the same. Which one do you feel gives the biggest punch with a 2 grand budget. Don't get me wrong I do like both of them.

I do have a pretty good show and not real sure which to add this year. Please let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

For 2011 I was trying to decide as you are now. I ended up doing the CCR tree. While the CCRs are definitely fragile, I think there is no comparison between them & the weber spiral tree. No question, the CCRs can do so much more! You're limited to only a few effects with the spiral tree while the CCRs combined with the superstar software is only limited to your imagination. I will however, be making a spiral tree for this year! ;)

The spiral tree I added (only 10' tall and not real precisely shaped - my stakes didn't hold in the un-frozen ground.) was a real crowd favorite. So if you were to make a taller and better one people would definitely love it. But the 12 CCRs will certainly give the bigger punch. You probably wouldn't even need to worry about the quality of your sequencing on anything else in the yard because no one will look at anything but the CCR tree.

I think a lot of the decision would be based on where in your layout/show you'd put the new tree. If it's planned as a new center/main element than the CCR tree would be the brightest star attraction of the show. However, if you plan on putting it to the side, then I'd say use the spiral weber tree. I had a smaller display (~15K lights last year) with the dominant element as a 15' holly tree used as 4 color mega tree with 8 slices each. This year I added a 4 color 64 channel 10' spiral tree with another 6K lights on the side of the yard. That tree was definitely the hit of the season and I absolutely love the look of it. However, I was able to dim it down for some of the songs and the look of it as a more or less static tree fit into all of the rest of my display and sequences much nicer. There was only a couple of new songs I added that the swirling dancing spiral tree became the star element that everyone watched.

Once again I would like to say thanks for all the input. At this time I have have a 30 foot x 64 channel tree in the yard and was thinking of another tree that I could highlight and turn this tree off at the right time of the sequence. Does the price of the CCR every go on sell? Plus does many share their sequences like the other. I know I will update software but I did see on the forum that if I buy SuperStar I get S3 with it. Is this correct. Thanks again for all your help.
Jeff

trafficman wrote:

I have seen many of them on here of each. Looks to me the cost is about the same. Which one do you feel gives the biggest punch with a 2 grand budget. Don't get me wrong I do like both of them.

I do have a pretty good show and not real sure which to add this year. Please let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

Personally I really dig the CCR tree - but to make it fit in my display it would mainly just go with color sweeps. Which would make it kinda pointless to pay that much money to build. People are pretty happy with the sequencing and colors and if i added a CCR tree i think it would just look too "futuristic" compared to the rest of the lights with how I would want to sequence it.

Just my .02 cents - either way im sure people will love it.