Light-O-Rama Forums

M6/M5 minis or 5mm wides?

ToddH

Would there be a huge difference in the look of arches wrapped in m6/m5 (hear they are the same) vs 5mm wide led strings?

ToddH wrote:

Would there be a huge difference in the look of arches wrapped in m6/m5 (hear they are the same) vs 5mm wide led strings?
having used both types on my mini tree's and my fire sticks, personally think the m6/m5 look a lot brighter and fuller.

Gary Blair wrote:

Don't waste your time with the 5mm.
really depends on the application, used those on most of my mini's and got the most compliments on them BUT my mini's were a foot or two from the road.

Gary Blair wrote:

Don't waste your time with the 5mm.

Mind backing that up with why?

All my net lights arre 5mm and I got nothing but complements on them from how colorful and bright they were.

I'm just trying to see if any have done so an what they thought about it.

My experiende was that they were very directional but that could just be the type I used. My M6's showed much better - but I am 100' from the road. I didn't mean to trash the 5mm.

Gary Blair wrote:

My experiende was that they were very directional but that could just be the type I used. My M6's showed much better - but I am 100' from the road. I didn't mean to trash the 5mm.

I didn't mean to come across that you were trashing them, just wanted to know why you made that comment as in what you explained here. so thanks for that.

My main reasoning was trying to save a few $$ as they are a bit less but will go with the m6/m5 lights. will be placing my order by this weekend so still mapping out and planning what I want for next year vs what i can afford :( I still have to get another controller, will just buy a kit again as it was alot less and not hard to do at all. If they go on sale maybe get 2 more...

ToddH wrote:

Gary Blair wrote:

I didn't mean to come across that you were trashing them, just wanted to know why you made that comment as in what you explained here. so thanks for that.

My main reasoning was trying to save a few $$ as they are a bit less but will go with the m6/m5 lights. will be placing my order by this weekend so still mapping out and planning what I want for next year vs what i can afford :( I still have to get another controller, will just buy a kit again as it was alot less and not hard to do at all. If they go on sale maybe get 2 more...
If you use the sleeve method on your arches then do what I would do, buy one strand of each and wrap separate sleeves with each type of light, that is how I decided to use the 5mm on my mini-trees. see pics below, the firesticks were m6/m5 and the mini trees were 5mm wide angle.

miniswith5mvsfirestickswithm5m6.jpg

Thanks Caniac, from what I See in that picture at least to me, it looks like the minis are actually more brilliant then the firesticks...

ToddH wrote:

Thanks Caniac, from what I See in that picture at least to me, it looks like the minis are actually more brilliant then the firesticks...
as long as you get the "wide angle" ones. the "cover" is beveled so it can be viewed from any angle. Some of the older LED 5mm didn't have that so unless you were staring straight at them you didn't see much.

I found the concave (5mm) gave a much brighter overall light, than the standard M5/6s when we relit our trees. The colors really jumped out at people, judging from all of the positive comments we received when we switched over to using these instead of the M6s we had previously used.

Most folks thought these trees were new, although they had been in the display previously. Using the 5mms certainly made an impression!

You can see them in our 4 six foot trees adjacent to the nativity in last year's display.

Go to our site at www.vimeo.com/gregyoung or directly to the video at: www.vimeo.com/33806268

That being said for the multiple display items made from lexan, some of which you will see elsewhere in the video, I used the M6's as direct replacements for mini incandescents, which I prefer for that indication.

Greg

• Like 1

caniac wrote:

as long as you get the "wide angle" ones. the "cover" is beveled so it can be viewed from any angle. Some of the older LED 5mm didn't have that so unless you were staring straight at them you didn't see much.

Sorry, I should have been more clear when I posted. The 5mm minis that I am looking at are the wide angle ones. Its the same ones I used for my netlights due to the fact that you mentioned here as far as seeing them from any angle.

I might, after all this talk just go with the 5mm wides, not like I am able to get a TON of stuff as I have to budget for the controllers also and have to keep the wife happy :)

Greg,

not to side track this thread, but just watched your video, nice job.

Can you provide any information on the tree to the right of your mega??

It looks like a pixel or RGB node?

In my opinion (and my display) the 5mm are best for bushes. C6 are good for trees. I used 5mm for my mega arch because they store better, being more compact.

• 3 years later...

That tree uses C7 LEDs.

That tree has been in my display, exactly as you see it, since the 1980's, originally using minilights, then C7s incans, and finally for the last 6 or so years, dimmable C7 LEDs.

The kicker is the tree is driven by, are you ready for this, a color organ I built back in the 1960's!!

So it's old technology, but I have gotten so many comments on it over the years, I put it up each year.

The tree is 3/4 plywood sealed and painted with green enamel, which has never needed recoating....