Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting Construction of RGB Star for my new Mega Tree

bretk

I started on my star today for the new mega tree I am adding next year. Starting with 1/4" steel rod, I have welded up a star with 1' points. first making all the points to 36 degrees then joining them. I then welded the star to a 1/2" square tube, and welded the tube inside a 1/2" nipple. The paint is now drying. I plan on using 30 cm waterproof RGB strips and run it using a 6 dollar dmx decoder and waterproof power supply. More pics to follow.

Attached files 301037=16565-IMG_0713.JPG

Looks good, I was considering making something like this for next year.

I'm wondering have you thought about how you are going to handle the RGB strips at the "Corners" of the star?

I'm pretty sure in order to make a clean sharp corner, you will need to cut the rgb strip. Then wire them together and lastly seal it all.

I wish I could weld something like that. I have a 30 foot tall radio tower mega tree with no star still... Still trying to figure out the best way to make one for myself. Yours looks great man. Keep up the good work.

hcl1 wrote:

I wish I could weld something like that. I have a 30 foot tall radio tower mega tree with no star still... Still trying to figure out the best way to make one for myself. Yours looks great man. Keep up the good work.

If you need someone to build you one I can do it.

www.wireframedlites.com

Doug

Hot glue will leak with out heat shrink. I had issues with my led rope light on my star the first year. I ended up replacing most of the sections. May I suggest some clear heat shrink thats has glue in it. Can't tell its there. I found it on ebay for 8 bucks its 3/4 3:1 for four ft of it. No issues this year.

yes, it's 30 per meter, thanks for the hot glue tip, I will also be covering the junctions with liquid electrical tape too. I will post a new pic tonight, I added a Dan-Burst to the center for a little zing.

Also remember that the inexpensive $7 DMX decoders are not waterproof. You will need to seal them/enclose them, as they will fail if they take on water while operating.

Greg

Bret,

Thanks for the great pictures, now I can show the wife that I'm not the only one that uses the kitchen counter as their work bench.............(LOL)

The pictures look great but your video is truly awesome with the radiating lights.

You have a winner!!!

imawlkr2 wrote:

How did you attach the strip to the 1/4" rod? Might need to make one of these for each of my 3 trees.

Initial positioning was with the tacky strip on tha back of the lightstrip, the I used some 2 part epoxy to permanently attach them