Light-O-Rama Forums

Why minimum 4 channels on tree?

jgordon

Another newbie question: why can't I set up a tree prop to have only 1 or two channels instead of the minimum 4? I want a multi-color channel and a white channel, so I really only need 2 channels.

Should I just assign white to channel 1, multi to channel 2 and ignore 3 and 4? Using LED's, having enough power or overloading amps is not an issue.

Thanks to you who answer, and keep me on the right track!

Not totally sure if I'm Gonna answer your question, but you can do this however you want to. One channel per tree. Two. Ten. Whatever you'd like. I did 3 dozen trees my first year. One channel (clear) each. This year, I'm adding blue to them. Next year, maybe another color. Do whatever you think looks good. If you like it, others will too.

It's all up to you. Depends on your budget and what you are planning. You can use as many channels as you wish. 2 channels, one for white and one for Multi is fine.

Use 3 and 4 for another fixture.

I have 4 channels per mini tree. One for each color. That's just the way I planned it.

The software however, demands a minimum of 4 fixtures/bundles per tree when you create a prop. I just need 1. Do I use 2 channels (clear/multi) feeding all 4 fixtures/bundles?

jgordon wrote:

The software however, demands a minimum of 4 fixtures/bundles per tree when you create a prop. I just need 1. Do I use 2 channels (clear/multi) feeding all 4 fixtures/bundles?

Bundles (fixtures) in the case of mega trees refer not to the channels, but number of sections that can be individually controlled.

If your tree is strictly ON/OFF (IE, you can't spin it), simply create a 4 bundle tree, and then wire each bundle with the same channel(s). When you turn that channel ON (or ramp/fade/whatever), all 4 sections will behave identically.

Make the tree with as many bundles as you want in terms of strings, then assign them with the same channel, you can assign them all to say channel 1 on your controller, add the second color to say channel 2. It will take a few minutes to setup but nothing that the visualizer isnt capable of. Im having more fun playing with the Visualizer than I am sequencing.