Light-O-Rama Forums

Making a sign

musicman130

I was wondering how you make different things for use in the visualizer. I have a MERRY CHRISTMAS sign on the roof that is 14 channels, one for each letter, but I have NO IDEA how I would even start and do that in the visualizer. I got some of the props like the mini tree and such already so I can start figuring out how to use this thing to make my display look more realistic. My other problem is the star on the mega tree. I see people have stars for mega trees but mine is a 2 channel star, each channel is 90 degrees from the other so one side faces the road while the other faces the yard I guess would be a good way to explain it. Not sure how I would do that either. Other then that I have the trees and candy canes and such. Icicles I got too, I guess you just copy and paste them across the roof and then somehow wire them together? I'm not that far, just learning as I go basically.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.

Ok, can't figure out how to edit my own post so I'll just add here. I also have a USA sign I need to make. So if someone can let me know how to do this, then I can make them.

Thanks again

I would have a hard time trying to walk you through drawing your Merry Christmas sign other than to say use the Draw String tool. Do each letter as a fixture, then combine them into a prop.
Go here for some sign ideas: http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=27584&forum_id=81&highlight=radio+signs

So I need to hand draw each part of the Sign and call it a fixture, then put them all together as a prop, correct?

Here is a pic of the display from this past year with the sign. I've read about making vertical poles so far, but has anyone made a burst yet? I'm trying to figure out how to do that too. I guess I will learn as I go!

Attached files 300443=16550-005.JPG

Yes, that's how I did something similar.

As far as the burst it depends, Is the burst self controlled? Do you supply power and it bursts on it's own? Or does LOR control the burst? If it bursts on its own just draw something that resembles it. If LOR controls it, then you have to draw each segment similar to your Merry Christmas sign. As far as I know, there's not an easier way.

The burst is 5 channels going up the pole, which I understand you can use the arch wizzard and them flatten it and move it to go vertical (?) and then the burst part is the clear lights are 1 channel, the multi are 1 channel and 1 channel for the 4 strobes that are in there.

So if I understand, I would just kind of "float" the clear part out there then put the multi after it and kind of throw the strobes in. Makes sense. Might not look the best, but at least I'll understand it and be able to see it.