Light-O-Rama Forums

LED or Mini (Illumination)

TE2012

Hello world of addicted "Hobbyist." I have been bitten and the adrenaline is coursing through my veins as I type. I look forward to sharing your addiction and providing my share of failures and successes in the years to come.

Now that the proper pleasantries are complete, I would request your guidance.

I want to build a light show.

I have already downloaded the LOR demo software and will be purchasing the Advanced version in the next week or so. I have layed out my design for the house (112 Channels - 7 controllers x 16) - I hopfully have enough time before Christmas to sequence them, but 12 months should be enough :)

But the real question is LIGHTS. My house sits about 100 yards off the road and I want the lights to be bright enough to be seen from the road. Every year I decorate with Mini lights and they are easily seen from the road. I want to get the benefit of electrical savings, but I do not want to give up the beauty of bright lights. I am looking for a comparison between the illumination of mini lights to the illumination of LEDS (can anyone provide this information, or a link).

I will also be using larger lights on my roof, any comparison reports for these?

THANKS!!!
Terry

Welcome to the addiction.Start out with as many channels as you fill comfortable with.I started with 192 my first and and had 320 this past year.I am about 99% led lights.I use c6 on my house,mega tree`s,mini tree`s.My marty fan is m5 led.If you look at my videos from 2010 my arches and marty fan were incadescent lights.2011 they were converted to led.Much brighter with the led.Have fun and remember to post videos for everyone here to enjoy.

WOW EXCELLENT DISPLAY. Too bad I live so far away, I would love to see this in Person.

Where would you suggest I get my lights from? and Are there specific specifications in particullar I am looking for?

Here`s a link to the pre orders for led lights.Last year i bought from magic in the sky.creative displays i would not hesitate to buy from and i did buy my strobes there.Great warranty from these vendors.I had 0 lights fail the past season.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/31757.html

The led multi are great. But watch out for the white. Make sure you get the white ones of your likings. I made the mistake of getting the bright white leds and had to fade them down.

I am more of a yellow white fan.

IMHO, LED's are the way to go. I was throwing away 60-70% of my ican's every year. After I switched to LED's I lose maybe 1 strand per year. LED's are much more sturdy and are more reliable which I find to be plus during take down and storage. LED's use little power so I don't have to worry about measuring AMPs and volts and such plus I don't have to upgrade my power service. LED's are also cheaper to run so the electric bill stays in check over the holidays.
There are 2 types of white - Cool White and Warm White. Warm White has a tinge of yellow and looks a lot more like clear incan lights you may be familiar with. I prefer the Warm White but the Cool white often show up on retailers shelves at the end of the season at huge discounts.