Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it true?

swampman8

Uh, in the third sentence in the above post, immediately following the words "...chase tool have been" please ignore the word "were". That should not be there. Thank you.

Dan - since we're starting from scratch can we please get edit back again sooner rather than later? Thank you.

jimswinder wrote:

why can't we edit our posts anymore???

Edit's in time-out right now.

Won't take long for you to have challengers galore in the post-count arena at this rate...

jimswinder wrote:

why can't we edit our posts anymore???

It's a trade secret. You have to know the secret handshake, password and dance moves to get the edit button to work.:)

BTW: I did explain what and why I think the edit function is disabled in two other threads, one is in the "put a helmet on" and the other is "what's the difference", both in the Coffee Shop forum.

jimswinder wrote:

Some of us think odd is better...especially for an arch because then you have a middle segment to either start from or end at if you want to change it up from just going from end to end...

Maybe some of us like 'odd' element counts because we are odd???? My element groups are 5, 3 and 3. :)

Concerning low channel count and color useage.... Most have recommended using just one color if you have a low channel count. But I'll just mention how I did four colors for everything except my icicles with just 32 channels. Actually I had three channels left over so I could have done the icicles in all 4 colors as well. (But I also did not have any channel hog elements like arches or a megatree.... I'm saving those for growing in future years....)

I'm not suggesting you have to do it this way, it just gives you some options as you decide how you want to do yours.

Below, each vertical column of letters represents a tree and the color of lights on that tree. If there is no number following the W B R G, then that color on that tree has it's own channel. White has its own channel on each tree. The B, R, and G ususally have more than one tree on a channel. For instance, R1 and R1, indicate that those two trees both have their red lights on the same channel. B1 and B1 are on a channel together, and so on.

This configuration uses 29 channels. I used the remaining 3 for a few misc. elements.

ROOF W B R G
ICICLES W

W W W
B1 B1 B1
R1 R1 R1
G1 G1 G1

W
B
R
G

W W W W W
B2 B3 B4 B3 B2
R2 R3 R4 R3 R2
G2 G3 G4 G3 G3

I you want to see this configuration 'in action' look take a look at the videos on the website in my signature.

Best of luck to you!

Really, with a little imagination you cant go wrong with almost ANY number of elements.

example 4/4 beat count with :
3 elements
1 2 3 2 | 1 2 3 2 | 1 2 3 2 | 1 2 3 2 | . . . . .

4 elements
1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | . . . . .

5 elements
1 2 3 4 | 5 4 3 2 | 1 2 3 4 | 5 4 3 2 | . . . . .

6 elements (imagine each pair as ON at the same time)
1-6 2-5 3-4 2-5 | 1-6 2-5 3-4 2-5 (this is the same as having 2 sets of 3 mirrored)

as an extreme example, I use a 10 tree element in 'Silent Night' - a 3/4 song

2 measures of 8th notes = 12 timings"

so to march across 10 trees in 12 timings I extend it by holding for "2 trees"

1 | 1-2 | 1-2-3 | 2-3-4 | 3-4-5 | 4-5-6 | 5-6-7 | 6-7-8 | 7-8-9 | 8-9-10 | 9-10 | 10|

A little imagination and just about anything will work.

remember OFF can be thought of as an element sometimes too.

example 7 elements in 8 timings

1 | 1-2 | 1-2-3 | 1-2-3-4 | 1-2-3-4-5 | 1-2-3-4-5-6 | 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 | ALLOFF |

or the same for 3 elements in 4 timings

1 | 1-2 | 1-2-3 | ALLOFF | or

1 | 2 | 3 | OFF |

or even just 2 elements in 3 timings

1 | 2 | OFF |