Light-O-Rama Forums

2 Different Shows each Evening

Steven

This would be for this year (2012), I waiting for some feedback first. After 5 years, I finally have enough sequences (about 30 minutes) to move some to a different show.

This came up because of 1 song I have had in my display for a few years, Carol of the Bartenders by Bob Rivers. Many people say they really like it, but others say they don't. For instance, one typical comment I got on my web site:

I love the light show!! I'm bringing my parents back to see it. But i wish the house across the street joined in too. I loved the " don't drink and drive " song! Helarious

However, here's another that has been shared by others:

I love your display, but I have two little kids and really don't want to endure them giggling and singing "Don't be a dick" for days...so I'll have to pass next year =( But the old, non-parent me thought it was awesome.

To make both sides happy, I've thought of a compromise: Move that, and some other songs to the "Bluebonnet Lights Comedy (Half) Hour." I'm thinking of a voiceover throughout the main show with a kid's voice asking: "How come that funny song isn't playing?" And an answer from The Demented Elf answering that the songs that are not suitable for sensitive ears have been moved to the comedy half-hour, at 9 p.m. on weekdays and 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. At that time I'd play nothing but comedy Christmas songs, of which I have quite a few.

So, I'm asking, is this just a crazy idea?

I have always wanted to add another show...for the late night crowd...but have never had enough time to sequence 5 or 6 songs to make up a 1/2 hour show (like my others)...

always wanted a "non Christmas Song" show also for after Christmas..

so I think it is a good idea...

Thanks for your support! Now I need to work out the specifics. My show starts at 5:15 (when it's getting dark), and runs until 10:00 S-Th, and 11:00 Friday and Saturday. I need to decide when the comedy show should start. Obviously after the kids have gone to bed, so I'm thinking 9:00 Sun-Thu, and 10:00 Fri,Sat. Do those sound like good times? (I realize this may be a local issue, as the time at which people go home varies depending on city vs rural vs suburbs, climate, and social issues.)

And what should I call this? Even though I don't have enough for an hour, I'm thinking of calling it the "Comedy Hour" because that sounds better.

Steven wrote:

so I'm thinking 9:00 Sun-Thu, and 10:00 Fri,Sat. Do those sound like good times? (I realize this may be a local issue, as the time at which people go home varies depending on city vs rural vs suburbs, climate, and social issues.)
I was only going to do mine on the weekends as the last show...so I could run it AFTER 9:00... (from (9:30 till 10:00)

How about "The Bluebonnet Blue Show"... :P

AS A PARENT...
Some folks crack me up. No common sense at all! I can't believe anyone would put that cr@p in a Christmas show. You've got to know that little kids are going to be watching/listening.
(Climbing off the soapbox).
Now that I got that off my chest.

AS AN ADULT...
The second show is a GREAT idea! I love that stuff. After the kids are tucked away in bed. That's when you bring out the adult content.

I've wanted to use Dont Drink And Drink but wont until I can edit that line, either beep it out or insert another word in it for all audiences. as a parent I wouldnt want the kids to hear it either.. but it's a great song. I have had several cars with little kids watching as late as 10pm on the weekends, so trying to pick an Adult Content window would be tough. I'll just edit or not play those.. now Wierd Al's Christmas At Ground Zero is perfect anytime! :P

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I've wanted to use Dont Drink And Drink but wont until I can edit that line, either beep it out or insert another word in it for all audiences.

As I like to respond: "That's not a bad word, it was the name of our 37th president!"

It's also used 4 times, in very important places in that song. I can't see a way to edit it.

I would drop the whole song, but every 5th comment says it's their favorite.

Hey Steven, It is Don In Millbrae, In 2010 I did 2 shows. Ran my regular hour long show of Christmas stuff etc. From 5:30 till 10:00 everyday. The Fri and Saturday I did a 10 - 11 Rock hour show. It worked out great.

Some parents around here aren't really 'parents'. On weekends, My show has ran as late at 11:00 or 11:30 on a Friday night and I've seen kids under 10 in the car.

you could always add a push button for "special musical numbers". you live in a fairly warm area so i bet alot stand outside to watch neway. have the button light up after 9 or 10.

Steven wrote:

.....So, I'm asking, is this just a crazy idea?

Not at all. However, I would try to voice over "Stick" for the word "Dick" where it is obvious and play it for everyone, the message is too important.