Jump to content

Easy Question


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I noticed an LOR Controller that had two male extension plugs and I was wondering if that meant it could run more power.

When I looked at the description, it was a 30 AMP (compared to a single inlet at 15AMP).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetterDays wrote:

I noticed an LOR Controller that had two male extension plugs and I was wondering if that meant it could run more power.

When I looked at the description, it was a 30 AMP (compared to a single inlet at 15AMP).



A typical household outlet and circuit can only handle 15 AMPs of current. The LOR boards are designed to allow up to 15 AMPs (20 with a new fuse) on each side of the boards, so basically yes, two cords can handle twice the power.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rockyct wrote:

BetterDays wrote:
I noticed an LOR Controller that had two male extension plugs and I was wondering if that meant it could run more power.

When I looked at the description, it was a 30 AMP (compared to a single inlet at 15AMP).



A typical household outlet and circuit can only handle 15 AMPs of current. The LOR boards are designed to allow up to 15 AMPs (20 with a new fuse) on each side of the boards, so basically yes, two cords can handle twice the power.


I am running two outlets this year, so that controller would definitely work for me.

I am going to attempt to design my house, since 300 lights = 1 amp = 1 channel. However, with the larger controller, 600 lights = 2 amps = 1 channel.

Can you load two channels more than the others (say 6 AMPS- icicle lights) and have others with around 1 AMP? Or would it better to split the icicle lamps into 3 AMPS each and use 4 channels?

I hope I can make 16 channels work.. :laughing:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't need to balance the channels for them to work. But, if the total on one channel is too many amperes, and you have to split them, I suppose that I would balance them "just because."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetterDays wrote:

Can you load two channels more than the others (say 6 AMPS- icicle lights) and have others with around 1 AMP? Or would it better to split the icicle lamps into 3 AMPS each and use 4 channels?


To answer your question (and probably a few others) ... Yes.

Assuming that you are dealing with a standard, 30amp Showtime unit from LOR ...

You could have 7.5 amps on channel one, and 1 amp on the remaining 7 channels on the left side) and you would still be under the limit. Remember, each channel can handle up to 8.0amps (if you have the heatsink.)

There is no need to balance out the amperage across the board. Just make sure that you don't go over the designed limits of the board.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...