Light-O-Rama Forums

WHAT VERSION OF S2 SOFTWARE SHOULD I GET

jimmy61

i am getting ready to purchase my first controller. i will be ordering the 16 channel starter kit with s2 software and i was wondering what version i should get. (basic, basic plus or standard, or maybe the advanced?) basic is free and the rest are discounted right now..:P

your opinion is appreciated.;)

thanks

jim

Well, if you see a place in the LOR store that lists "S2" in the starter kit, could you let me know where it is? (I'll send it on to LOR.) S3 is the version of software being sold now.

As for which version to get:
http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

Start by seeing what each version is capable of. Pick the one that best fits your needs.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the fun!

My opinion regarding the software would be for you to get the Advanced version so you have access to ALL the software features with no limitations. The things you might not use today will still be available to you so they can help make your tomorrows a lot easier.

Definitely go with Advanced! It opens ALL the features of the Sequence Editor up, what you think you won't use, you'll soon find out you want to use it or need it.

I started with Basic+, but within a week I had upgraded to Advanced because I wanted to use all the advanced options in the software.

Plus with Advanced you're not limited to the number of controllers you can have. At Basic+ I wouldn't have been able to use all my controllers I purchased either, that right there is another excellent reason to go advanced, if you end up buying more controllers, and you will, you may soon find your license doesn't support the number you've acquired.

Definitely go with Advanced, you'll really be much happier with all you can do with it.

George Simmons wrote:

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the fun!

My opinion regarding the software would be for you to get the Advanced version so you have access to ALL the software features with no limitations. The things you might not use today will still be available to you so they can help make your tomorrows a lot easier.

I agree with George. I bought my first system almost exactly a year ago to the day. I made the mistake of buying a less capable license of the software first. Within a month, I forked over more money for the Advanced license. Ended up costing more than if I'd just gone that way to begin with. Trust me when I say that you will find a use for the additional features.

Welcome to the fun. This first year has been a blast.

Aaron Maue wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the fun!

I agree with George. I bought my first system almost exactly a year ago to the day. I made the mistake of buying a less capable license of the software first. Within a month, I forked over more money for the Advanced license. Ended up costing more than if I'd just gone that way to begin with. Trust me when I say that you will find a use for the additional features.

Didn't cost me a a lot more to upgrade from the BASIC+ I originally purchased to my Advanced License, I upgraded within 2-3 days to Advanced, did you use the upgrade option or did you re-purchase the license at the standard full price, NOT using the upgrade option?

The upgrade would have been a lot cheaper than re-purchasing the Advanced License, as you only pay a small difference to upgade your license.

Which if you paid the standard full price for your Advanced License, you ended up screwing yourself out of money you didn't have to spend!

Sounds like you re-purchased your upgraded license using the standard full price option over choosing the upgrade option.

i haven't bought it yet...but sounds like i'm gettin' the advanced version

thanks for everyone's input

jim

Orville wrote:

Aaron Maue wrote:
George Simmons wrote:
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the fun!

Didn't cost me a a lot more to upgrade from the BASIC+ I originally purchased to my Advanced License, I upgraded within 2-3 days to Advanced, did you use the upgrade option or did you re-purchase the license at the standard full price, NOT using the upgrade option? 

The upgrade would have been a lot cheaper than re-purchasing the Advanced License, as you only pay a small difference to upgade your license.  

Which if you paid the standard full price for your Advanced License, you ended up screwing yourself out of money you didn't have to spend!

Sounds like you re-purchased your upgraded license using the standard full price option over choosing the upgrade option.

No. Bought the upgrade, but since I didn't buy it with the starter pack, missed out on the discount. Only cost me $20, but hey... $20 is $20. :)

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't buy mine straight off either which would have been cheaper in that respect, just didn't have the full funds for the Advanced version, so went with BASIC+ originally, then 3-4 days later went to the Advanced when the funds came in.

jimmy61 wrote:

i haven't bought it yet...but sounds like i'm gettin' the advanced version

thanks for everyone's input

jim

Another important decision is the number of CCRs you're planning on having. My roofline is so large that when I get 9 of them, I have to get the advanced, so if you think over the years you'll expand controllers, don't limit yourself today :)

Good hunting partner :)