• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• johnm160

• Ken Benedict

• Donny M. Carter

• 2 months later...

Hey Ken, how's your ball tree coming along? I have the balls put together and started mounting the ribbon. Unfortunately, my garage isn't tall enough in the peak to put it together upright. Hopefully I'll have enough floor space instead. Now that my son has moved out, I'm starting to get my garage back. He has a lot of bicycle parts still here that I'm packing up and getting them out of here.

• 1 month later...

I finally have my ball tree running for testing purposes. I had some communication issues with my DMX controllers and thanks to fogger for some suggestions that lead to a faulty power supply. Here's a sample video of how it looks: https://vimeo.com/43582176

Besides playing with my b...s we recently got a second weiner dog, not to mention we have three female cats, so the jokes are always flying around home and work. What's really wrong is when the female weiner is humping the male cat! :shock:

scubado wrote:

I finally have my ball tree running for testing purposes. I had some communication issues with my DMX controllers and thanks to fogger for some suggestions that lead to a faulty power supply. Here's a sample video of how it looks: https://vimeo.com/43582176

That is totally badass!

I wish I had those lights lying around... :)

I did a little calculating and figure it will run about $850.00 to make one of those...

My wife is not convinced I REALLY need one yet... :)

MikeyRo wrote:

I wish I had those lights lying around... :D

I did a little calculating and figure it will run about $850.00 to make one of those...

My wife is not convinced I REALLY need one yet... :)

$380 for 20 rolls of ribbon
$81 for 10 DMX controllers
$145 for DMX Fusion Pro with shipping
$80 for 40 hula hoops
$50-100 for PVC structure, wire, misc.
$25 power supply
If you already have a Fusion or Enttec Pro, then you won't need another one, If you do have to get one, expanding the DMX universe is cheap, just more controllers and ribbon.

I was PM'ed and asked to provide some links as to what I used.

The Fusion Pro was from:
http://www.holidaytechnologies.com/catalog/product.php?id_product=58

DMx controllers:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Channel-DMX-RGB-Controller-p/26.htm

RGB ribbon, this the ribbon and vendor I used, and I believe other members have used these as well. I got 23 rolls and found no problems. I got a discount and upgraded shipping at no charge. The deal doesn't go through Ebay FYI.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-rgb-led-strip-5m-waterproof-150led-30led-m-smd-12V-ip65-car-tape-light-004-/221036308341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3376ca6775

Hula hoops I got at Menards $2ea.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Ken Benedict wrote:
Yes, I am pursuing an RGB version also, but making it out of metal.

Instead of 10 balls, IO'm planning for 16 of a size that would use exactly 1 meter of dumb RGB strips. That way I could cut and splice easily.

Thats a lot of balls!  Splicing anything in the same paragraph with the word balls should be banned.

Yes, in my enthusiasm, I let my grammar slide. (rim shot here)

scubado wrote:

Hey Ken, how's your ball tree coming along? I have the balls put together and started mounting the ribbon. Unfortunately, my garage isn't tall enough in the peak to put it together upright. Hopefully I'll have enough floor space instead. Now that my son has moved out, I'm starting to get my garage back. He has a lot of bicycle parts still here that I'm packing up and getting them out of here.

Ball tree project parked until next year. Bent some steel pieces and ran a test tho. Looked good.

Replaced by a unique design: an rgb snowflake made from led ribbons. About 34" diameter with various pieces of 5050 LED ribbon strip, cut and soldered together. Making 15 of these for this year, driven by three LOR DC controllers; about 4 amps per snowflake (all colors lit).

Prototype was just powder coated and beginning a production run using 1/2 square tubing. Uses about 19 feet of 5050 RGB LED strip. Hard part is getting the weatherproof epoxy coating off without damaging the copper solder pads. Designed to either stand alone or hang from a two-wire support. Heavy enough not to blow away in the wind.