Light-O-Rama Forums

Tear down observations

ItsMeBobO

When rebar is frozen to the ground, its also too cold to carry a pile of them to the shed without gloves.

When its this cold, Cords dont wrap up nice and wont fit in the bin, need another bin.

When the ladder blows over in the wind, best to not climb it.

Not only rebar gets stuck on/in the ground, screws get stuck in trees or strip the head.

i am glad i got my display down new years day, Agree with the cord wrapping. I went from fitting in 1 bin to needing 1-2 more. We got a couple inches of snow but didnt deter me from taking down. Next time maybe i will use gloves though...lol. I put everything in garage and turned on the heat in there to melt snow off before i put in rafters. Didnt need it to rain in my garage...lol. Didnt have a problem getting rebar out though. But on to 2012 planning... doing LED conversion.

I spent 9 hours outside today. Temperature 20 degrees (after a high of 38 yesterday. Winds 20 MPH, gusting to near 40. But because of the warm winter here so far and ground still not frozen, all anchors pulled out by hand! Did not need the vise grips once today. And with no snow, all cords could go direct into totes with no defrosting / drying necessary. Not one cord frozen to the ground. If not for the wind, it was a geat day to tear down (that is Wisconsin-wise). And the yard looks bare.

taybrynn wrote:

With the rebar, hammer it a few times, then clamp on vice grips ... and out it comes.

I find that the hammer step isn't needed. Clamp on vice grips, and use the vice grips to rotate the rebar about 2-3 revolutions, and I find that is slides right out of the ground then.

radioguy1007 wrote:

I spent 9 hours outside today.  Temperature 20 degrees (after a high of 38 yesterday.  Winds 20 MPH, gusting to near 40.  But because of the warm winter here so far and ground still not frozen, all anchors pulled out by hand!  Did not need the vise grips once today.  And with no snow, all cords could go direct into totes with no defrosting / drying necessary.  Not one cord frozen to the ground.  If not for the wind, it was a geat day to tear down (that is Wisconsin-wise).  And the yard looks bare. 

It was the same here in Madison for me too.

Guest Don Gillespie

scubado wrote:

radioguy1007 wrote:
I spent 9 hours outside today. Temperature 20 degrees (after a high of 38 yesterday. Winds 20 MPH, gusting to near 40. But because of the warm winter here so far and ground still not frozen, all anchors pulled out by hand! Did not need the vise grips once today. And with no snow, all cords could go direct into totes with no defrosting / drying necessary. Not one cord frozen to the ground. If not for the wind, it was a geat day to tear down (that is Wisconsin-wise). And the yard looks bare.

It was the same here in Madison for me too.

Ok what exactly is cold for you guys?? 20 degrees is golfing weather where I live. LOL :)

Cold is below 0 degrees. The wind is what sucked yesterday.

I'm hoping for decent cold spell, I want to freeze some water in a large garbage can and then light it up with my led floods.

I'm still sleeping with the window open at night!

Don Gillespie wrote:

Ok what exactly is cold for you guys?? 20 degrees is golfing weather where I live. LOL :P

20 degrees is for ice cream and frozen food. Anything under 60 is cold......(save your comments, I spent 22 years in the north, then I got smart). Lucky I still have some lights on the front shrubs. Just came in from wraping the plants and palms, going down to the mid 20's here in central Florida tonight.

Dave H1 wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Ok what exactly is cold for you guys?? 20 degrees is golfing weather where I live. LOL :D

20 degrees is for ice cream and frozen food.  Anything under 60 is cold......(save your comments, I spent 22 years in the north, then I got smart).  Lucky I still have some lights on the front shrubs.  Just came in from wraping the plants and palms, going down to the mid 20's here in central Florida tonight. 

I don't like the heat, Heck, I used to Ice Dive! I missed out on last years opportunity.

scubado wrote:

Dave H1 wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:
Ok what exactly is cold for you guys?? 20 degrees is golfing weather where I live. LOL :D

20 degrees is for ice cream and frozen food. Anything under 60 is cold......(save your comments, I spent 22 years in the north, then I got smart). Lucky I still have some lights on the front shrubs. Just came in from wraping the plants and palms, going down to the mid 20's here in central Florida tonight.

I don't like the heat, Heck, I used to Ice Dive! I missed out on last years opportunity.

Damn Scubado,

I go ice diving every opportunity I get ....... dive in as deep as possible to the cooler or plastic tub by the pool and immediately surface with the adult beverage of choice.

Its easier to tolerate the heat for me than the cold.......spend too much time making yellow snow.......

It was 85 today for a high. Should be about 60 tonight. Beautiful out here.

Snow? What's that? Oh yea that stuff that some make with a machine for that Christmassy look. Melts shortly after hitting the ground.

Sorry - couldn't resist :D

It was 85 today for a high. Should be about 60 tonight. Beautiful out here.

Snow? What's that? Oh yea that stuff that some make with a machine for that Christmassy look. Melts shortly after hitting the ground.

Sorry - couldn't resist :D

Finally got all must stuff down on Monday.. then I had to mow the lawn.. it grew rather ragged over the last two months. Time to fertilize and water!

Could use some rain here.. you guys got any you want to send our way?