Light-O-Rama Forums

Show elements attacked last night, Christmas trees assaulted

Denise Brunner

My neighbor down the street is a friend of mine and a police officer. Last year he had some kids he had picked up and sent to Juvee. After they got out they went and tagged his car and broke the windows out of his car. So he got his car fixed and then he went and picked up the kids and sent them back to Juvee again. :shock:

Just be careful there are stupid people out there and just because a police car is nearby does not allways deter stupid people. :P

Around here, the cop cars get broken into more than the regular cars...LOL

Dumb cops are always leaving their guns and personal items "locked" in there thinkin it's safe.

As of right now I have 3 of 5 cameras installed, being recorded on a 1 terabyte DVR that will just keep recording on top of itself. This will give me one week of taping. The additional two cameras will only be set up when my show is running, but all areas will be covered by at least two cameras at all times. Had PD come by and look at the images and they feel they are good to get a good idea of who is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would skip the IR and light the yard after the show via floods or motion detection halogen lights. IR is never quite as good as you think and it is hard to identify the green person with the glowing eyes.

My thought process is deterrence, I want them well aware there are cameras and can be seen rather than having to try to get a damaged display back up after the fact.

Denise, what brand did you go with and are you happy with the quality?

The only problem with your plan about keeping things well lit after is show is over is that my display was hit DURING the show. It was New Years night and there were not a lot of people out.
I bought these: http://www.usasecuritystore.com/servlet/the-179/USA-Security-Store%2C-CIB/Detail

The quality is OK, good enough to know who was there. But the better deterrent is making sure THEY know that the camera's are there. I have 5 camera's, three of the camera's will be very visible, but the other two will be hidden.

I setup motion sensor lights and setup the motion to activate the lights for 1 minute when tripped. I turn up the sensitivity when I had the display out this year so anyone came near my yard the lights turned on. I already had cameras and that did not deter them in previous years.

Leaving my dog in the front yard and motion activated lights seemed to help this year in as much as I did not have any issues this year. Maybe the fact that it was also extra cold this year played a role as well?

I do not know if there is any sure fire method to protect yourself. I do think up front measures are better than after the fact. I still want to get an auto fired paint ball security system that will fire on anything that comes into my yard but my other half will not approve of this security measure. She feels like the lights are enough at this point.

Denise Brunner wrote:

The only problem with your plan about keeping things well lit after is show is over is that my display was hit DURING the show. It was New Years night and there were not a lot of people out.
I bought these: http://www.usasecuritystore.com/servlet/the-179/USA-Security-Store%2C-CIB/Detail

The quality is OK, good enough to know who was there. But the better deterrent is making sure THEY know that the camera's are there. I have 5 camera's, three of the camera's will be very visible, but the other two will be hidden.

Wow did not realize it was while the show was running....my next suggestion would be buck shot, but some people feel differently about that then I do :P

I had a little fun with a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon a couple days ago. That's a belt fed machine gun for those that don't know that. http://www.k6ccc.org/photos/Pics/M249%20SAW.jpg Sitting on the front porch with that perched on it's bipod out to keep the bad boys away - at least after firing a couple bursts at 'em.

Unfortunately I would have to stay up all night (not good), and simply possessing a machine gun in California would land me in jail (WAY NOT GOOD!) Guess I'll have to go the more traditional security route :P

Disclaimer: I really am not advocating sitting on your front porch with a machine gun and shooting the vandals...

k6ccc wrote:

I had a little fun with a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon a couple days ago. That's a belt fed machine gun for those that don't know that. http://www.k6ccc.org/photos/Pics/M249%20SAW.jpg Sitting on the front porch with that perched on it's bipod out to keep the bad boys away - at least after firing a couple bursts at 'em.

Unfortunately I would have to stay up all night (not good), and simply possessing a machine gun in California would land me in jail (WAY NOT GOOD!) Guess I'll have to go the more traditional security route :)

Disclaimer: I really am not advocating sitting on your front porch with a machine gun and shooting the vandals...

Can you roof mount that and control it with LOR ?? :)

• The topic was locked