Light-O-Rama Forums

Time for a change

Handamer

hey guys/gals I know it's that time of year where you possibly get a ton of new users saying how they are going to do whole light's to music deal. So you might as well add me to that group. I actually got a Mr. christmas setup this year nothing special (2011) and had that outside as a gift last christmas. Well I have been telling my wife and my in-laws about syncing the lights better for the 2012 year but using my PC and LOR so I showed them a house here in Louisiana out in Denham Springs, i'm not sure what the guy was using but it looked amazing and I have seen it on youtube. They were awestruck and now they actually went and got some LED's for me to use next year.

So with all that said I have been reading the forums and actually playing with the demo of the software. I'm just trying to figure where to start. Do I do 16ch or should I do 32ch, do I solder it myself? or do I just buy it assembled(I haven't soldered in YEARS even then I sucked at it) my neighbors are kinda cool with the music but I would rather look into the whole transmitting FM. Also i'm on a corner lot so does anyone have any suggestions for a corner lot?...I don't wanna go overboard I just really would love to give the kids a good show in my neighborhood..don't flame me to much..T

Handamer wrote:

hey guys/gals I know it's that time of year where you possibly get a ton of new users saying how they are going to do whole light's to music deal. So you might as well add me to that group. I actually got a Mr. Christmas setup this year nothing special (2011) and had that outside as a gift last Christmas. Well I have been telling my wife and my in-laws about syncing the lights better for the 2012 year but using my PC and LOR so I showed them a house here in Louisiana out in Denham Springs, i'm not sure what the guy was using but it looked amazing and I have seen it on youtube. They were awestruck and now they actually went and got some LED's for me to use next year.

So with all that said I have been reading the forums and actually playing with the demo of the software. I'm just trying to figure where to start. Do I do 16ch or should I do 32ch, do I solder it myself? or do I just buy it assembled(I haven't soldered in YEARS even then I sucked at it) my neighbors are kinda cool with the music but I would rather look into the whole transmitting FM. Also i'm on a corner lot so does anyone have any suggestions for a corner lot?...I don't wanna go overboard I just really would love to give the kids a good show in my neighborhood..don't flame me to much..T
the bigger question is do you want to do a mega tree, if so then 32ch because you will want to use on controller for the tree. If no mega tree then I have seen several excellent displays here using as little as 16 channels. The cool thing about this is that it lets you be as creative as you want to be.

Actually yes I have been playing with the mega tree idea. I think it's something that no one has been doing around my area plus I showed my wife some on the forums and she was saying how beautiful it was (see I keep trying to get my wife to just agree to it that way there is less of a fight this upcoming year :cool:

Guest Don Gillespie

caniac wrote:

the bigger question is do you want to do a mega tree, if so then 32ch because you will want to use on controller for the tree. If no mega tree then I have seen several excellent displays here using as little as 16 channels. The cool thing about this is that it lets you be as creative as you want to be.

I agree with caniac on this, the more you get into this the more channels you are going to want, I am on a corner lot and using 160 Channels I started with 32, the best part about this addiction is there is no minimum or maximum, do what you feel you are comfortable with, remeber there is a pile of information on this forum the more you search the better informed you are and if you can't find the info you can always ask, lots of great people that will chime in anytime.

Handamer wrote:

Actually yes I have been playing with the mega tree idea. I think it's something that no one has been doing around my area plus I showed my wife some on the forums and she was saying how beautiful it was (see I keep trying to get my wife to just agree to it that way there is less of a fight this upcoming year :cool:
I have played around with different lights on mine and the C6's are the way to go. others just didn't seem bright enough and there was pretty much no cost difference. Buy your lights now, several sites have great sales.

Handamer wrote:

hey guys/gals I know it's that time of year where you possibly get a ton of new users saying how they are going to do whole light's to music deal. So you might as well add me to that group. I actually got a Mr. christmas setup this year nothing special (2011) and had that outside as a gift last christmas. Well I have been telling my wife and my in-laws about syncing the lights better for the 2012 year but using my PC and LOR so I showed them a house here in Louisiana out in Denham Springs, i'm not sure what the guy was using but it looked amazing and I have seen it on youtube. They were awestruck and now they actually went and got some LED's for me to use next year.

Welcome...alot of this comes down to YOUR BUDGET. You will always here the more the merrier. With that said, if you are doing the transmitter, look at EDM, if you have been on the forum at all and searched FM Transmitter, that is a staple. Some of us have learned the hard way. Only 3 or 4 solder points, there are help videos on that, and a little practice with some cheap elements from Radio Shack can help get your confidence back.

I started first year, 32, then 64, this year 160, the Mega tree is the channel reaper, so think about your layout and what you want to have, that will help you with your decision, good luck!

IMO, I would buy the partially assembled kit that requires no soldering (basically just attaching the cords). You will have enough work this year as it is. Once you learn the ropes, you can solder additional controllers down the road. 32ch is a nice place to start if money allows, especially if you plan either a mega-tree or arches (5-7ch per arch, and 8-16 channels for a mega-tree). EDM FM transmitters are the best--you can always do both (speakers and transmitter).

Surfing4Dough wrote:

IMO, I would buy the partially assembled kit that requires no soldering (basically just attaching the cords). You will have enough work this year as it is. Once you learn the ropes, you can solder additional controllers down the road. 32ch is a nice place to start if money allows, especially if you plan either a mega-tree or arches (5-7ch per arch, and 8-16 channels for a mega-tree). EDM FM transmitters are the best--you can always do both (speakers and transmitter).

I appreciate all the info so far. I love this place it's great plethora of knowledge. I was thinking that about the partially assembled kit.

Handamer wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I appreciate all the info so far. I love this place it's great plethora of knowledge. I was thinking that about the partially assembled kit.
your on the right track glad to see you are already using the software,all the work in it now you will be able to use once you purchase your license.the card assembled kit is what I buy