Light-O-Rama Forums

To paint PVC or not

Ron Boyd

I have 2 props for next year built, but not painted. I will be using Warm White, full wave LED's on a 7 ft. spiral tree that has quite a bit of PVC used on the prop. The other is a Marty Fan that is about 3ft. x 6ft. and will have the same Warm White LED's and Blue LEDs (Same amount of each).

My question is, If i leave it white, will that brighten up the warm white LEDs? If I paint it black or green, will that leave it the color of the LED the same as clear incandescents (the color the vendor said the LEDs were)? I would really NOT like to string up the props, test them and then have to take the lights off and paint, then re-string.

I used to like the color of clear incans, but now that I've been exposed to the brightness of LEDs, the incans look kind of like a dull yellow to my eyes. I want the props to be bright, but not so bright that it takes away from the effect of the prop.

Thanks for any insights.

Ron

You can always wrap the lights close enough that the color doesn't show during daylight.

But to answer your question, painting your PVC will not dull the lights. I paint my props black, so that you don't see them as much while the lights are on.

When your LEDs are on, they will light true to color no matter if you paint the PVC or not (imo).

/good luck

/take lots of pictures and be sure to share them with us

There is a thread (either PC or HU) to a link on Instructables about staining PVC pipe rather than painting it. It uses petroleum DYE mixed with clear PVC cleaner (from Lowes) to stain the pipe. Even with Krylon Fusion I find that painted pipe scratches/chips/wears off. From my limited testing so far I'm liking the results of staining MUCH, MUCH better. I picked up black, red and green from a seller on eBay but have only tested black for my Halloween display. Will be making some North Poles over the winter for 2012's display.

meadmkr wrote:

There is a thread (either PC or HU) to a link on Instructables about staining PVC pipe rather than painting it. It uses petroleum DYE mixed with clear PVC cleaner (from Lowes) to stain the pipe. Even with Krylon Fusion I find that painted pipe scratches/chips/wears off. From my limited testing so far I'm liking the results of staining MUCH, MUCH better. I picked up black, red and green from a seller on eBay but have only tested black for my Halloween display. Will be making some North Poles over the winter for 2012's display.
had the same issue painting my PVC BUT wrapping lots of lights around the PVC IMO eliminates the need to paint. The sleeves I made for my arch/firesticks I left white but was wrapped with so many lights you really don't see any of the PVC.

depending on the sizes needed you could use black PVC but it isn't available in as many different sizes and is more expensive.

Just wanted to give an endorsement to staining PVC verus painting it.
I also have trouble with paint sticking and/or scratching on PVC.
I have a lot of extension cords and with 4 colors in the display it was a lot easier to use Krylon fusion to paint the vampire plugs and sockets so that I can easily tell the line that I am dealing with as to which color it is.

Now with the stain I can color the other elecrical plugs that I use for multi conductor cord for props like my spinners and such since I am using 18-8 security cable for the feeds to them.
I buy leviton plugs in bulk in white and use the stain to color them red, green, or blue. Then when I make up my cords for the prop it is simple to use the color plug I need and maybe a marker for a number to identify the plug.
It certainly helped me during set up for this year and I will be staining a lot of plugs this spring to use for some multi conductor feeds for my 100+ blowmolds that I want to make scenes with for next year.

DOH! I didn't even think about staining white vampire plugs which would have made things a lot easier tracking down which line is for what color! I used to mark it with a sharpie but even that wears off after a while.

Cheers
Chris in VA

Most of my PVC, I want to disappear within the display. So they are painted black, dark green, or dark brown. Increasingly, I've been using flat, or satin finish when I can find it, to keep reflections down, and help things disappear.

Really, how you paint, or don't paint the PVC won't affect the appearance of the lights. All it will affect is the appearance of the prop. Will the PVC show up, lit up by the lights, or will it blend into the background?

There is only one display element that I have tested without paint, and preferred that way. It is some arch segments to be used as fence line around the yard. And I want those to be visible, if they are on, or off. Special cases, special treatment..

I wanted to add to this thread and give out a little warning on the dye for PVC.
While most of us are pretty safe and careful with what we do, you want to make sure that you wear good gloves when working around the dye and solvent.
The dye is VERY concentrated and will stain you and anything it comes in contact with.
I wear elbow lenght poly gloves with a pair of good solvent proof poly gloves over them.

The solvent for PVC is nasty stuff that will absorb through your skin quickly so just take some precautions and be aware of what you are doing.

You can get the dye on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250756356934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The seller is NaradCorporation that sells it and has many colors available.

Also since the dye is very concentrated, I have found that the 1 ml of dye to 4 oz of the clear PVC solvent may be too much for some things. It also depends on how you apply the solvent/dye to your PVC items to color. I want to do a few experiments with it as soon as I take a road trip and pick up some more solvent. Brushing it on can give you a very deep color but it also can be spotty looking. I am thinking of using a disposable spray bottle to try some and see how that applies.
It does really color the PVC nicely though.

I will try to get some photos after I get done putting away the display things from this year and get my bench back (at least I seem to remember a bench in part of my basement where there is a large pile of cords and lights right now - LOL).

There is paint available especially for PVC & plastic, but it is a little more expensive. I Just use the cheapest flat black and it works fine.

However, using gray or electrical has its benefits but is NOT nearly as rigid as white. Recently I built a whole series of roof grids but I soon found out that much more intermediate bracing is needed because they are quite flimsy. Not a big deal since it is so cheap though.

I didnt paint these and found that I actually had to point it out to most people when they asked how I did it. They are watching the lights didnt really notice them.

The paint for plastic might be the Krylon Fusion that you are thinking about?
I have used it quite a bit this last year for touching up blowmolds and other things. I find that it does stick to plastic very well but not to PVC so well. It will stick and cover the PVC but it also can be scratched quite easily too and the "props" and supporting structure items that we use for this hobby tend to get a lot of abuse during the set up and tear down phases of things.
While the Krylon will work well as long as you are careful in the handling of items, I find that staining them is better long term (at least for me).
Also when you stain the PVC, it is dry almost instantly where paint has to set for a bit and the longer you let paint cure, the better it will hold (up ot a point anyway).
So the stain I can do touchups if need be while working on things and not worry about the dryign time so much since the solvent dries very fast.

But yes painting is another option for PVC for sure. I have just found during the last year while painting and staining things that the stain tends to be more permanent and dries faster which makes things easier for me as well.

Just observations so far and my opinion! :D

That is the wonderful thing about these forums that you can get everyones experience.

I never used the Krylon Fusion because the cheap stuff was...well...cheap :D

Now I know not to waste the money.

However, the more I am reading about stain, it seems like the best option if you want to. Even the cheap paint flakes off and you have to re-apply.

Thanks, Beeiilll!

beeiilll wrote:

since I am using 18-8 security cable for the feeds to them.

whats a security cable? Do you mean a steel cable?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

beeiilll wrote:
since I am using 18-8 security cable for the feeds to them.

whats a security cable? Do you mean a steel cable?

The copper cable intended to run through a house tying the security system together electrically.

I was just surprised when I googled security cable, and found that at least some of it is 300V RMS rated. I would suggest that since many security systems run on 12V, do check that the cable you have is rated sufficiently for the purpose at hand.

beeiilll wrote:

I wanted to add to this thread and give out a little warning on the dye for PVC.
While most of us are pretty safe and careful with what we do, you want to make sure that you wear good gloves when working around the dye and solvent.
The dye is VERY concentrated and will stain you and anything it comes in contact with.
I wear elbow lenght poly gloves with a pair of good solvent proof poly gloves over them.

The solvent for PVC is nasty stuff that will absorb through your skin quickly so just take some precautions and be aware of what you are doing.

You can get the dye on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250756356934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The seller is NaradCorporation that sells it and has many colors available.

Also since the dye is very concentrated, I have found that the 1 ml of dye to 4 oz of the clear PVC solvent may be too much for some things. It also depends on how you apply the solvent/dye to your PVC items to color. I want to do a few experiments with it as soon as I take a road trip and pick up some more solvent. Brushing it on can give you a very deep color but it also can be spotty looking. I am thinking of using a disposable spray bottle to try some and see how that applies.
It does really color the PVC nicely though.

I will try to get some photos after I get done putting away the display things from this year and get my bench back (at least I seem to remember a bench in part of my basement where there is a large pile of cords and lights right now - LOL).

Sounds like dangerous stuff.

I've been using electrical tape of different colors to color code my SPT. I just wrap a small amount around the wire near the plug. Works well for me.

I just paint anything I don't want to show up flat black. Rustoleum seems to work well. It can be scratched off the PVC though...

Jerry

Yep, I just use Rustoleum. It does flake off like people have said, but nothing I have stays with lights on it. Everything is broke down for easy storage in a small space. I get things out in the summer and do touch ups as I build new props.

As for the original question, it is all about seeing the props. The white PVC reflects light very well and the structure of the prop is more visible than if it is a dark color. So in my opinion, if the majority of the structure can be seen with the lights installed, then I would paint it a darker flat color. I am also planning on building 2 7' spiral trees this year and will be painting the pvc as the lights only cover a small area of the pvc. In the end, it really is a personal preferance I think.