Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D... man oh man is it small!

JeffF

Just got a CMB16D as an early Birthday present and compared to the PC controllers it's just soo cute! I almost thought for a second I received the wrong thing. :)

That is all... :cool:

Heh, didn't even think about that. Thanks!

Now I just have to wait for a couple deliveries from Hong Kong for some RGB strips and 20A power supplies. It's going to be a "BRIGHT" Birthday. ;)

BTW, just watched a couple videos of your display this year... nice!

Jeffrey wrote:

Heh, didn't even think about that. Thanks!

Now I just have to wait for a couple deliveries from Hong Kong for some RGB strips and 20A power supplies. It's going to be a "BRIGHT" Birthday. ;)

BTW, just watched a couple videos of your display this year... nice!

I just got mine today, but I am waiting to see which way is the best route to go, the CMB that you got or the Enttec Pro that I have.

TitanBry77 wrote:

I just got one yesterday also, waiting on the RGB strips from Ray Wu along with a power supply, can't wait to try this stuff out. My first venture in to the DC stuff.

What are you going to using to control it?

TitanBry77 wrote:

To control the DC board? I have the USB/Cat5 control that runs my regular AC boards, I figured I could use that correct?

But you have to have a dmx Module to program the RGB string as well

TitanBry77 wrote:

I thought with the "dumb" rgb strips you don't need a dmx module you can do your controlling right through the DC board?

Correct. 1 ch for R, 1 for G, and 1 for B.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

TitanBry77 wrote:
I thought with the "dumb" rgb strips you don't need a dmx module you can do your controlling right through the DC board?

Correct. 1 ch for R, 1 for G, and 1 for B.

This is why I'm sticking to "dumb" strips... ok... and also because I can relate to that label pretty well myself. :D

I just don't see the need to control individual pixels on everything. I'm going to start off with a 10 strip tree(only populating the front half that people will see) and see how that goes. IMHO some people get too caught up on the technical side of things and forget to make a good show. I want to use RGB to accentuate our show, but I don't want it to *be* our show... if that makes any sense. :)

Have a Happy New Year All!

Couldn't believe it but I had a package from Hong Kong for me when I got home from work! Didn't have much time to fool around but I did connect one strip up to a little remote controlled controller I bought with the strips...

All I can say is WOW are RGB strip colors PURE and BRIGHT!!!

The wifey and kiddo are both completely on board now with our little upgrade for 2012. :D

Can't wait to play with the CMB16D now too... I keep telling myself that I can NOT use a vacation day tomorrow... :P

Jeffrey wrote:

The wifey and kiddo are both completely on board now with our little upgrade for 2012. :P

Want a little "Lighting Insurance" to help support your efforts?

Buy each one of your family members one of these little RGB lights for their very own light show in their favorite room: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-5W-RGB-85-265V-LED-16-color-Flash-Light-Bulb-Remote-Control-Lamp-/190602719882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c60ceb28a

I bought these for my HS theatre tech students and they love 'em.

Finally got to play around with the new gear tonight and I just had to post how cool this RGB stuff is!!! Woo-hoo!!! :P

Odd thing to me is "yellow" is 100% red and only 30% green. "White" is 100% red, 100% green, and only 10-30% blue(depending on if you want cool white or incandescent white).

I was thinking things would be more 100%.

Man this is fun! Converting one of our 2011 sequences now to see if I can make the LEDs look "normal". Once I get that done, I'll start seeing about mixing in some other colors to see how it looks.

Have I mentioned how cool this is? :D

Thanks again to everybody here and a special thanks to Jeff M. for a very informative PM exchange.

LOR is awesome!

Glad to hear that you are having fun with the new toys Jeff.
I ordered some strings myself to see what they do and how I will be able to incorporate them into my display as well!

It's addictive. I already ordered 10 more 5m 30-5050 RGB strips and I'm now thinking I'll replace all our roof lights and window lights with RGB. :)

Our display has bee white, gold, and red for the past 4 years so blue just looks incredible to me. Purple and orange really seem to stand out too.

Jeffrey wrote:

It's addictive. I already ordered 10 more 5m 30-5050 RGB strips and I'm now thinking I'll replace all our roof lights and window lights with RGB. :)

This last year I outlined my windows and eves with these 5050 RGBs and they look great. I also still used my C9s on the windows and eves and could have the "old" and/or "new" look depending on the song. Being able to make your windows and eves flow from one color to the next adds a lot of options - and really makes the crowd wonder - how'd he do that?