Light-O-Rama Forums

Police showed up!

yukon

So I go out for a walk one night and tour my neighborhood. I was at the other end of the road where my house sits and I see a local Police car coming toward me then take an abrupt turn in the middle of the road and head back toward my house. It was pretty crowded out there so I thought, ok , someone has finally had it and called the police or there was another minor fender bender. (we had one a few nights prior) So I started to walk down towards my house and I approach the cop car. He was parked on one of the side roads with his lights off. I'm thinking he was waiting for someone to speed by. So he rolls down the window as I approach and I said "is everything ok"..Yes he replied everything is ok sir....Oh good I said cause thats my house across the street...He said...yep just enjoying your light Show!!!!!

Now that was cool.....built in traffic control!!!!!

Awesome!

I too have seen the occasional police car outside my house. There have been 2 traffic complaints at the intersection where my house sits - so, I monitor that closely now. Funny thing is that everytime the police cruise by, there's been at most 1 car legally parked on the street. The police have visited/watched prior to the complaints but haven't yet exited their car for any reason.

I hope things continue on a good track for you.

I had 2 fire trucks at the same time come and stop right behind all of the cars. When I saw them coming down the street it scared me, because I thought someone complained. When they got to the house they just stayed for a song or 2 and then left.

Occasional? Every show which is every hour, the police drive by. I'm on a state highway so technically people aren't supposed to stop but as long as they are over the breakdown lane line they are ok. A couple times they kick people out who are half in the road. Once a bus was sticking out into the travel lane and the police made them load up and move on.
The craziest thing is when the breakdown lanes are already filled and people still stop right in the middle of the travel lane to watch. Some people aren't too bright.
I think the thing that saves me from having problems with traffic is the visibility is great, you can see the house with all the lights from a mile away in both directions so it's not a surprise to anyone.

Last year 2 calls were made to the police from my street for traffic related issues, but no reports filed. They come out, drive up and down, see that everybody is being orderly then go tell the complainers that I'm not breaking any laws.

We've had a few fender benders, also saw a cop watching the show this year.

We had a crash with one of our cars that was parked out in the street. The person was backing out and hit the side of the car. We couldnt open the door but other that that it was drivable.

For some reason fire trucks and ambulances are frequently seen with their lights on at our show. :shock:

Sometimes they even pull up, turn their lights on, and block traffic, as they get ready to back into the building. :)

Most of the year I hardly see a cop car on my street. This time of year I get nightly patrols and am thankful for it. My best friend being the police dispatcher doesn't hurt. I also had a fire truck stop for a show this year.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I had 2 fire trucks at the same time come and stop right behind all of the cars. When I saw them coming down the street it scared me, because I thought someone complained. When they got to the house they just stayed for a song or 2 and then left.

Your tax money at work I guess.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Really? It's ok for police cars to drive around aimlessly all night but a fire truck is returning from a call waiting for the next call and suddenly they are wasting money?

mbettez wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Caleb Linburg wrote:

Really? It's ok for police cars to drive around aimlessly all night but a fire truck is returning from a call waiting for the next call and suddenly they are wasting money?

I feel the same about the police officers too (no offense intended with either--you are just doing your job).

I contacted the local PD after the interview and video that showed up on MSNBC of our singing robotic snowman - asking them how we should handle the additional traffic. The Officer said "We've already been watching your area and traffic seems to be handling itself. But he offered to swing by if any problems arose.
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/45751784
Traffic was a constant flow from that point forward, until Tuesday.

trafficman wrote:

I Love Frosty.. Can you share how you did this?

Well, you know - its all Christmas Magic! Its in his hat!

Yep.. I would still like to know how it was done. My sister in law would not allow me to do anything like this in her yard. Lights only but she did allow strobes in the star.. LOL

trafficman wrote:

Yep.. I would still like to know how it was done. My sister in law would not allow me to do anything like this in her yard. Lights only but she did allow strobes in the star.. LOL

Lester Frost "Frosty" was two years in the making, with approximately 500 to 600 hours of design / engineering / build work to complete. Was redesigned after last years harsh winter showed us he wouldn't have survived the elements (standing outside as we speak with no ill effects after a couple of nasty wind and rain storms). Is comprised of steal support frame, bearings, Teflon bearing blocks, high torque steel gear servos, LOR servo dog controller boards, protector circuits and relays, Thermo-plastic compounds, modeling clay, boat parts, fabric and felt, and most importantly - "A Magic Hat".

There is only two like him in existence (that we are aware of) with the original design by Mike Ziemkowski at www.lightsondisplay.com . Mike gave copyright permission and consulting advice for the project.

Lester will be on display at the Pacific NW mini this year (not scheduled yet) which has been held in years past in Olympia WA..