Light-O-Rama Forums

New really funny timing msg on a loop

pyromill

So here I am making up a sequence for my aquarium lighting so I can gently make the sun rise and set and the moon light come through so to speak... white led vs blue.. well I made a sequence a minute long and put a loop in for 56 seconds to loop 690 times to reflect daylight time currently.. and increase speed to +100% less than a hundredth of a second for the last loop.. decrease by 100% and you get this "... and the last loop will take longer than the current age of the universe" I just gotta know as I am so thankful I had just swallowed my pop or the computer would be one heck of a mess I laughed so hard... Who did it ? it's truly priceless to see!!

Edit: -50% was thinking it went to -100 my bad.

Or maybe just maybe I get lucky with the first person to find it and win something other than idiot of the year award :D for trying such a long loop/repeat time made more sense than making a multiple hours long sequence

And the last loop will take billions of years... millions years...thousands of years...decades...over a day all in the same... is there more than that bob?

edit the last loop may take a very long time if you go past age of universe

edit the last loop may take a very long time if you go past age of universe

There it is: "May take a very long time" is the longest. What it really means is that the length of time is so big that your computer can't even figure it out (at least not in the same way that it figures out the others).

so... all "eggs" are now found ? .. btw I did find somewhat of a bug. However with you saying the computer can't figure it out I would say maybe not. But if you go to the positive side of things it also says may take a very long time. I was trying to get a true shimmer out of dmx running to a rainbow brain. I don't know if the short comings is the brain or the computer or the 485b. I also hooked up my enttec pro to attempt the same and both result the same. But I did manage to lock up the sequence editor when on the positive side of things looping a short piece with .01 timings.

so... all "eggs" are now found ?

No comment.

if you go to the positive side of things it also says may take a very long time.

Yeah, that's why it's "may" take a very long time, rather than "will". For "longer than the current age of the universe", we're sure about the calculation, so we know it "will". "Very long time", on the other hand, really just means that the computer can't calculate the length, so we're not sure it will take a long time; it "may".

But I did manage to lock up the sequence editor when on the positive side of things looping a short piece with .01 timings.

Thanks for the report. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on there.

Easter egg hunting time... :)

Honestly Bob I think it is simply the inability of the computer to handle keeping the program in focus to respond to lor the lights still were controlled. Once the loop completed all was back to normal. I put in a loop amount of 1000 on roughly ohh a 40ms time area at 100x if I remember correctly. So I wouldn't be too worried I don't think many others if any others would be shooting for such a short time loop thinking not doing the math but I would have been trying to get pico or nano second timing with a loop like that if not more.

Pretty funny to see isn't it? Granted possibly not as funny as it was for me being totally unexpected but still funny and shows just how great the folks at lor are. They still have a sense of humor unlike alot of businesses anymore.