Light-O-Rama Forums

How many channels do I need for a R/G/W mega tree

Tom Clapper

One thing my display needs drastically is a mega tree. I would like to build one for next year but my whole display is Red/Green/White and I'd like to make the mega the same. I have no extra channels as of now so I will be needing to purchase controlers and would like to purchase two if budgeting allows. I will be using a few of the channels for other features planned....so I will have anywhere from 16-24 channels to do it with. I also would like to do it the same as most people on here do so If I can get any shared sequences I can use them with little modification. I Have a few Holdman sequences already does anyone know how many channels he has in his mega.

Part #2. What kind of lights should I use? How many lights do I need? I'm thinking the tree will be whatever height I need it so that I can use the up and over approach.

IMHO eight channels (per color) is probably the minimum you need for a mega tree. I don't recall seeing any with less than that. How about doing something radical and using 16 channels of blue or gold and make it stand out from everything else?

If you have Holdman sequences, seems to me that would be a good place to see how many channels he uses...

I'd recommend using whatever type of lights you think will look best. It's your tree. I think your sequencing will make more difference between a nice tree and a crappy one more so than the lights you use.

If you are really short on channels. Just spin the tree in white and use one channel each for red and green.

I used a total of 46 channels on my mega tree: 16 white, 8 red, 8 green, 2 blue, 8 for center pole, 3 for star topper and 1 for strobes. My tree has 32 strings of each color. Every two adjacent strings are tied together for a wedge or "bundle". Each clear bundle (1-16) has its own channel. For the reds and greens, I plugged the opposite bundles (1-9, 2-10, etc) into the same channel for an up and over effect. (This gives me 4 strings of red or green per channel.) For the blues, I tied every other bundle together having one channel for the odds and another for the evens.

My center pole has 8 sections of wrapped clear lights (200ct per section) for a "firestick" effect. My star topper is a 3-D wire frame with 3 100 ct strings, each in a different plane so that it looks like it's rotating when chased.

I like the look of my tree with 16 individual white verticals and 16 individual blue spirals. 16 is a good number because of timing to 4 beats, most common in music. Whether you make the tree solid color channels(1 channel per color) or individualize the strands depends on whatever look you are trying to achieve. I can "spin" the white, "spiral" the blue, turn on whole tree W or B or combo, spin w with solid blue, etc. Many options.

Ok, so I added a 16 channel cool white LED mega tree to my display this year. I agree that 16 channels works great for 4/4 music and tempos, but I was thinking that I could free up some channels by having two strings of lights per channel and cutting down to only 12 channels total per color. The only bad thing I don't like about a 16 channel tree is that you can't spin in thirds...? Just my opinion, and I know I will be contemplating this switch throughout the entire next year! :)