Light-O-Rama Forums

Easiest way at drawing a CCR or other Intelligent RGB Strip controlled via DMX

marquisite

Hi,

With December almost over I have been thinking about what I will change in 2012 and that has included using the LOR Visualiser to .. "visualise" (as the name says) what might look good for the following year.

Problem is I've come unstuck while trying to draw in a CCR or CCR-like 'generic' intelligent rgb strip into the visualiser that would be controlled using DMX (or SPI as that may be but the signal is DMX leaving the computer) and not a CCR controller.

Not using a CCR controller, the total amount of pixels is unlikely to always be 50 pixels.

What would the easiest option be to draw this? Maybe the only option is for me to manually draw each node but that's potentially up to 190 of them, assuming the strip is 6803 (30LED/m or 10pixel/m) and a run of up to 19 metres.

EDIT: Even if it were a CCR at 50 pixels, there is no option to be able to assign it to a DMX universe only a LOR network.

Maybe a visualiser tool is in order to aid controlling DMX from LOR, where you draw a string, then enter the length (metres/feet) and the amount of "pixels" (controllable sections) per metre. That would make drawing in any kind of intelligent rgb strip (or strings even) very easy.

One of the things on the wishlist is a 'draw pixel' wizard. It will work almost the same as the Draw CCR Wizard, except it will create the individual pixels for you.

For right now, even if you don't use CCRs next year, I would draw them and simulate them AS CCRs. That way you can use the Draw CCR Wizard, and you can still individually address the R G & B of each pixel (Pixel 1 is channels 1-3 of the selected unit, Pixel 2 is 4-6, etc....).

Sounds cool! I gather ths wishlist item would be up there for a possible 2012 roll out?

Would it be easy to allow setting a CCR to a DMX network in the visualiser (as CCRs can function on a DMX network)? Other objects (basic rgb fixtures for example) do already allow DMX assigning in the visualiser. I could maybe get by if this functionality was implemented. Without it, it requires changing the sequences channel config to use lor networks. Changing 150 channels of CCR controller modes (from LOR controller to DMX and vice versa) sounds painful otherwise due to the quantity - repetition 150x.

Ta!

Goof: He's looking for an easy way to draw them. Yes you can draw them with the single pixel/single bulb construct, but that is going to take a lot of time. This way he can draw them fast, see what it looks like, and if/when the wishlist item is implemented he can go back and do it right.

Hi im like marquisite

im using digital strip in my display not ccrand running my other lor controllers in dmx also and would love a way of drawing a digital matrix and digital string in the visualizer. also it would be great if you could import vidoe in to the digital matrix. for example santa going down a chimney

Jeff I simply can't thank you enough for that file. Your earlier posts are correct it takes forever to draw pixels in SE and Visualizer. I've input a few of them, assigned the dmx channels and started playing some more in sequencer. Mine aren't playing in the Visualizer for some reason but I know that's my fault, I'm sure I missed something somewhere. Regardless of my inability to setup that software I do thank you for posting the prop files for the pixel props.