Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Storage

joe

My megatree is like many trees that has a center hub with the light strands attached and the hub can be raised and lowered. I use the "inverted V or slice" for each strand. Each year I lower the hub to about head high and use the "Ball of Lights" method to store the entire tree in a platic container. How does everyone store their Megatree??

Guest wbottomley

joe wrote:

My megatree is like many trees that has a center hub with the light strands attached and the hub can be raised and lowered. I use the "inverted V or slice" for each strand. Each year I lower the hub to about head high and use the "Ball of Lights" method to store the entire tree in a platic container. How does everyone store their Megatree??

I made a sexy rack where five 26 feet long poles lie for 6 months. The lights are stored in plastic bins.

I unhook my base ring and untwist the RV twist anchors. I unplug the controllers. I lower my telescoping flag pole, unhook the 16 carabiners from the top plate, pull it out of the pole, lay the spiraled lights on the ground like a donut, run a rope thru it like I'm hanging the donut and tie it. Then it all fits in a large storage container. The pole removes and goes into the garage until time to fly the flag. It takes maybe 10 minutes to take down, about 20 to 30 to put up.

I unstake the lights from the ground, wrap some bungee cords around them so they're held close to the center pole, remove the guy wires, lift the PVC off of the 6' metal bar that runs up it (2' in the ground, 4' above ground) and put it in the rafters of the garage.

For my 33ft mega tree, I store the radio tower sections (3 10ft sections) on the side of the house and the star and these light strands stacked in my enclosed trailer which is specifically bought to store most of my display stuff.

Note: the beer can at the bottom of the pic is strickly for comparison and don't recall how it got there. :D

Attached files 297237=16421-DSC01992-1.JPG

I've been wondering about this. Of all my christmas display elements this will definitely be the most difficult to store. My dillema is I made a 25' weber mega tree using pvc hoops to keep the shape and hold the spacing of my weber spirals. Undoing and redoing all of this next year will be a real pain in the butt. Not to mention the 3,000 zip ties I'll need. I have a center hub that can be cranked down so I am trying to find a way to crank down the lights and leave everything attached to the hoops then storing this whole pile on a trailer and covering with a tarp til next year. This way I should be able to reattach the center pole and pulley cable then crank the whole thing right back up where it was. We'll see how this works out soon enough.

I was thinking that this year I would get a mega storage shed that just rolls around the tree and protects it till next fall!