Light-O-Rama Forums

Yamaha Reciever

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

who is the receiver guru I have a Yamaha RX797 Reciever it shuts down because it is overheating I think I have everything hooked properly here are some pices give me your feed back

Attached files 296666=16394-2011 show 033.jpg

Guest Don Gillespie

Speaker wires i believe are hooked up right Iam trying to figuree out why she heats up and turns itself off here is a shot of the impedence switch I just changed it to A or B on the 6 min using Bose speakers this is driving me nuts came home last night and the reciever was off.

Attached files 296667=16395-2011 show.jpg

I take a stab... And with the assumption this worked previously.

What is the impedance of the speakers? How many do you have attached to each channel? How high is the output gain (volume)?

Couple of things to look at; speaker wire for any sings of damage. There could be a bad spot in a wire causing problems. Also make sure you have good connections at the speakers. A bad connection changes the impedance of the circuit.

Guest Don Gillespie

Ok as a complete moron that I am, this is what was happening, last month when my wife decided to repaint the office, I unhooked everything and of course who would label the right and left speaker wires, I am a man, we make no mistakes, ya right hooked everything up couldn't figure out why the bass was so over powering didn't think anything of it untill I pissed around today and discovered my mistake what a difference two little wires make. I really enjoy feeling stupid for a couple of hours. LOL

Don Gillespie wrote:

Ok as a complete moron that I am, this is what was happening, last month when my wife decided to repaint the office, I unhooked everything and of course who would label the right and left speaker wires, I am a man, we make no mistakes, ya right hooked everything up couldn't figure out why the bass was so over powering didn't think anything of it untill I pissed around today and discovered my mistake what a difference two little wires make. I really enjoy feeling stupid for a couple of hours. LOL

Just for curiosity sake, I am not seeing in your post what the problem was. Am I missing it and just brain fried today? Why was the bass so overpowering and why was she shutting down?

Thanks,

Ken

Guest Don Gillespie

kzaas wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

Just for curiosity sake, I am not seeing in your post what the problem was. Am I missing it and just brain fried today? Why was the bass so overpowering and why was she shutting down?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken what happened was I had the right speaker wires hooked up to my left side of my reciever and left speaker wires hooked up to the right side of the reciever causing my reciever to over heat and shut down last nights show ran flawlesly the reciever was cool to the touch and the sound was unbelievable. sorry I didn't mention it before such a small mistake that i won't make agian.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Ken what happened was I had the right speaker wires hooked up to my left side of my reciever and left speaker wires hooked up to the right side of the reciever causing my reciever to over heat and shut down last nights show ran flawlesly the reciever was cool to the touch and the sound was unbelievable. sorry I didn't mention it before such a small mistake that i won't make agian.

Hmmm... that is most interesting. You must have one of the most intelligent receivers ever made... since it can tell the difference between a "left" speaker and a "right" speaker...

Seems to me there might be more happening here than meets the eye. :)

D.T.

Guest Don Gillespie

DownTown wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

Hmmm... that is most interesting. You must have one of the most intelligent receivers ever made... since it can tell the difference between a "left" speaker and a "right" speaker...

Seems to me there might be more happening here than meets the eye. :)

D.T.
DT the reciever is a Yamaha RX797 what I did was had the pure direct button engaged this would not let me controll any bass, treble, or balance with the speakers hooked up wrong the unit would over heat and shut down after reading the manual which I should have done two years ago I just plugged it in and pushed the buttons I was lucky i didn't blow the reciever up.

Don - just out of curiosity, how does the receiver know the left speaker from the right speaker? Aren't they both the same? Aren't they interchangable?

D.T.

Guest Don Gillespie

Dt I don't understand it either but on the receiver it does say right and left

user=6156]DownTown wrote:

Don - just out of curiosity, how does the receiver know the left speaker from the right speaker? Aren't they both the same? Aren't they interchangable?

D.T.

Do the speakers say Right and Left?

D.T.

Don Gillespie wrote:

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

Do the speakers say Right and Left?

D.T.

Don Gillespie wrote:

D.T.
I have to agree Downtown...thats the craziest crap I ever heard, If it were APril 1st I would think this is somekind of joke...there is no way that was the problem. In the words of Spock...its illogical

Don Gillespie wrote:

Yes they do

Don, you can grab any set of speakers, and put either to the left or to the right with no ill effects...you may have actually "set" the speaker on the left hand side of your display, and its hooked up to the right speaker input, but other than you not hearing it out of the speaker you thought you should, it has no material impact on your receiver...people, chime in on this one... if I am wrong I will apologize , but being somewhat of an audio junkie, never seen it, or even heard of this.

Only thing I could assume is either the gain is set way left or right to compensate for a diffrent speaker setup. If they are identical speakers the channel make no bearing on over heating as the channels are taking the same amount of power. Of course this is if the speakers are the same. If you have a diffrent speaker setup left and right and over loading one becuase of gains, once again a small speaker on left so gains are set higher to keep up with a larger speaker on right so .. . . . you know what this is already to long to explain the what ifs.

Are the left and right channels the same speakers?

Guest Don Gillespie

thevikester wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Yes they do

Don, you can grab any set of speakers, and put either to the left or to the right with no ill effects...you may have actually "set" the speaker on the left hand side of your display, and its hooked up to the right speaker input, but other than you not hearing it out of the speaker you thought you should, it has no material impact on your receiver...people, chime in on this one... if I am wrong I will apologize , but being somewhat of an audio junkie, never seen it, or even heard of this.

What had happened was the pure direct button was engaged on the reciever not letting me controll the bass, balance or treble, it also distorted the sound, and caused the reciever to over heat and shut down, after going on line and reading the trouble shooting guide for the reciever, I tried what they suggested, it doesn't matter to me how it works as long as it works and it is working fine now. :)

Don Gillespie wrote:

thevikester wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote: What had happened was the pure direct button was engaged on the reciever not letting me controll the bass, balance or treble, it also distorted the sound, and caused the reciever to over heat and shut down, after going on line and reading the trouble shooting guide for the reciever, I tried what they suggested, it doesn't matter to me how it works as long as it works and it is working fine now. :)

Giddy UP Don...that is the absolute truth right there...doesn't matter how it worked, but that it DOES work! Happy New Year friend!

Guest Don Gillespie

thevikester wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
thevikester wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote: What had happened was the pure direct button was engaged on the reciever not letting me controll the bass, balance or treble, it also distorted the sound, and caused the reciever to over heat and shut down, after going on line and reading the trouble shooting guide for the reciever, I tried what they suggested, it doesn't matter to me how it works as long as it works and it is working fine now. :)

Giddy UP Don...that is the absolute truth right there...doesn't matter how it worked, but that it DOES work! Happy New Year friend!

Same to you Happy New Year now to get started on next years display :D