Light-O-Rama Forums

So now what?

plasmadrive

So now that this season is about over.. what do you veteran show people do the next year? I know if I change I will need to redo my sequences.. add, move, subtract or some such.

Do you guys do the same set up the next year and just add songs? Do you rearrange?

I want to do something a bit over what I am doing this year... as in add lots-o-stuff for next year.. but with different arrangements.. I see lots of work ahead....

So, that is why I ask.. what do you all to the NEXT year? :-)

Oh yeah.. being my first year and nearly blocking the road every night for the last week I have to figure that out too.. sigh.. I could certainly use some of that wisdom you all have gathered over the years!

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Craig

I know it's a cliche type answer, but what ever you want to do next year is what I would recommend.

You are correct, though - a lot of changes in your display will require many programming changes. (It's one of the reasons I stress to newcomers to have your display set first, then start programming, but I digress.)

I've found that taking pictures/video of the display and then reviewing them in the February time frame will give you some new ideas. It will also give you somewhat of a break from the hobby. (I know I'm ready for my break.)

For traffic control I do 3-4 songs on the 1/2 hr. Try to keep current year basically untouched. Anything new will be incorporated in the new songs and maybe add to the current songs. I'm adding quite a few extras for next year.

Tonight I'm going to have the full show run through a couple times and see what happens.

#1 thing to do to minimize traffic issues is to not advertise your display. Newbies get so excited to have people come to see their display that they advertise it everywhere, without knowing the consequences of it. Facebook, newspaper, TV news, local contests, etc. If you build it, they will come--just a lot faster and lot more if you advertise it.

Surfing... Guilty! I put it on California Christmas Lights . com and told some in FB.. that was all. However, I think most of what I have now are people telling people.

I used to do a Halloween show with high power lasers, professional sound, special effects, moving lights, lighting effects and much more, in my old neighborhood up until 1995.. We wound up with news crews every year being there the entire day while we set up. The last one in 95" we had a bit over 3500 people come thru in the 3 hours we were running. Kinda looked like Disneyland. It was pretty wild. But it was really fun!

I am not new to lightshows, just LOR and Doing synced Christmas displays.. and even so, I still feel like a newbie at this... Got the bug AGAIN!!! Now I am hooked, AGAIN! ha ha.

Thanks everyone for the advice about the traffic and the updates. I guess I will just update as needed once I figure out what I want to do next year. (gotta do that in time to order more lights).

Merry Christmas All

Craig

Well if you plan on following some type of a theme, then you will just expand the display next year.
If you want to completely change things, then do so.

I am looking at making my setup a little more standard so that I can use a basic setup but yet make some "set changes" to things to rearrange the look of the display each year and yet not have to redo everything.
Basic things like my mega tree, mini trees, arches and such will stay pretty much the same but I want to be able to have several small scenes that can change as I want.

Plasmadrive - I'm in your area and would be happy to drop by to see your work and make a few suggestions, if you like.

I am planning on keeping the rough display that I already have, but modifying about ever aspect of it next year. I am dedicating one controller per mega tree, adding 32 x-small mini trees ie 18" and adding more stuff to the roof.. I have learned a lot this first year. looking forward to a better bigger show next year!