Light-O-Rama Forums

Highbury Lights back for 2011

Grant_VK5GR

Hello Everyone. Been watching some of the fantastic displays people have been posting this year - well done everyone.

I thought I would share the links to my efforts this year as well. You can see my videos for 2011 here:

- All I Want For Christmas
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Manger Zone

For more information about the display, please check out my website at http://christmas.darkeyrie.net/

Merry Christmas Everyone from Highbury, South Australia

Great job. Love the rgb strip archs. Due to the angle (facing up?), how well do the appear in person due to the angle of vue? Great Idea. Again Congrats.

Great display! And I agree that the video is fantastically done!

Grant_VK5GR wrote:

MtDewMe - no - just RGB LED strip from Hong Kong (dealsextreme) driven with 3 standard DC 12V LOR channels per metre.

Are these them...
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/rgb-150x5050-smd-led-multicolored-light-strip-5-meter-dc-12v-900141523

I want to play around with RGB and I figure since our Merry Christmas wire frame is due for a re-wire I can start with that. I'm an RGB noob so any input from someone who's been there would be appreciated. :D

Again, GREAT job on the display(and video)!

Merry Christmas,
Jeff

Aaron Maue wrote:

OK, I need to know where to find the Manger Zone song. Is it one one of the Bob Rivers CDs? I can't seem to find it.

On the front of the video gives the description of the artist and group.

Just google it and you will find it.

jerrymac wrote:

Great job. Love the rgb strip archs. Due to the angle (facing up?), how well do the appear in person due to the angle of vue? Great Idea. Again Congrats.

They actually work surprisingly effectively. In fact I have even tilted them back away from the front so that they don't in fact dazzle you. In proportion to the rest of the rig they are VERY bright. The bonus is that they do a great job lighting up the elm tree too and providing some ambient wash light over the presents.

Thanks for watching and Merry Christmas to you!

Jeffrey wrote:

Great display!  And I agree that the video is fantastically done!

Grant_VK5GR wrote:
MtDewMe - no - just RGB LED strip from Hong Kong (dealsextreme) driven with 3 standard DC 12V LOR channels per metre.

Are these them...
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/rgb-150x5050-smd-led-multicolored-light-strip-5-meter-dc-12v-900141523

I want to play around with RGB and I figure since our Merry Christmas wire frame is due for a re-wire I can start with that.  I'm an RGB noob so any input from someone who's been there would be appreciated. :D

Yes thats the same I used. There is also 300 LED/metre available (more expensive) but that is VERY bright indeed when looking straight on.

The strip comes in 5m lengths and you can cut it every 10cm (3 LEDs) worth for jointing. I warn you however it doesnt go around corners well on it's side - facing straight up is fine. It adapts directly to the LOR CMB16 DC controllers fine.

My only advice - use lots of silicone sealant (the non acidic kind) on the cut ends. If water gets up into the strip it will fail. (Found that out the hard way).

As for the rest of the arch construction, they are built on 2m long sticks painted black and then a piece of 10mm x 2mm aluminium strap is cut long enough to form the arch and then screwed to the wood at each end - forming the natural arch you would expect. The LED strip is then cable tied on to the aluminium.

Hope that gives you some ideas :(

Regards,
Grant

768Burton wrote:

nice job. really liked the multiple camera angles on the first video. hopw to get the restf mine posted soon.

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

In all, there were 11 angles used, all shot individually and mixed/synced in post. They video took longer to cut than writing the sequence :D

How is the white color in this strips, I have read a lot about the white in some strips being more pinkish then white.
How many 5M strips are you running from each DC controller?

Thanks Mike

mmais68569 wrote:

How is the white color in this strips, I have read a lot about the white in some strips being more pinkish then white.
How many 5M strips are you running from each DC controller?

Mike,

I am only running about 1200mm of strip per segment (i.e. per LOR channel driving one colour) as I cut the strips up to suit the decoration. I have 3 LOR controllers driving a total of 16 segments across the entire front yard. The total length is ~16m with around 18m of RGB strip used.

As for colour tint, I found I can modulate that with the precise +12V voltage being supplied. My system happens to sit on a 13.8V power supply, meaning that the strips tend to look a little on the blue side in full white, and the green is close to overpowering the red when trying to do Yellow. I get a better Yellow if I reduce it back closer to 12V but recall that the white was starting to tend towards pink. It is a matter of trial and error.

Then again, while considering springing for 4 CCRs to replicate it, compared with DIY and a loss of 3 LED pixel control (one pixel for me is effectively 1200mm not 100mm) I saved around 50% of the price. Thats not to detract from the CCRs, they would also have been great - I just didnt have the extra funding available and the result I achieved met with my requirements for those decorations.

Hope that gives you more idea of how it was done - any other questions, feel free - happy to help!

Regards,
Grant

I've read a lot about different types of RGB's and some strands require up to 9 channels on the DC board. How many channels does one strip take up?

johnson8ryley wrote:

I've read a lot about different types of RGB's and some strands require up to 9 channels on the DC board. How many channels does one strip take up?

Depends how many pieces you cut it up into. I can drive one 5m length with 3 channels - one for Red, one for Green and one for Blue. I chose in this case to cut it into 1m lengths so I needed 48 channels in total to drive 16xRGB segments.

• The topic was locked