Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproofing SPT Plugs

Daryl

I am still building my first display after a year and a half of starting into this "hobby". Thought I would have it ready for this year but as the veteran's on here say....it takes money and a lot of time. Found out it takes 4-5 times more time than expected. Now I look at it as the work I'm doing now is in preparation for next year.

My question to everyone is I have SPT1 cord and plugs to make custom length extension cords and I want to make the plugs as weather proof as possible. If I put silicone sealant onto each of the SPT1 plugs and then put the wire and top slide piece on the plug, will the sealant react to the wire and plug pieces and create problems later on? I have made a couple of cords to use for static lights and have noticed the top slide piece on the plug wants to slide off easily. I'm thinking if I use some sealant that should keeping everything together and weather proof it too but I don't know if the sealant will cause the plugs to become brittle and break or if the insulation on the wire will get soft and expose the wire inside or break loose.

Typically no sealant needed. They are as weatherproof as christmas light strings are to begin with. Water in and of itself isn't the problem--it is the chemicals/dirt/debris that mix with the chemicals that usually cause problems entering plugs. Other than keeping them off the ground, most attempts to "weatherproof" them may actually trap water in (it always finds a way in).

The bigger concern is that the plug tops (slide piece) are loose. I wonder if you have SPT2 plugs with SPT1 wire. They should be snug. SPT2 plugs allow more room for the thicker SPT2 wire. May want to include a thin slice of plastic on top of the wire inside the plug so that the slide top is more snug.

They are both SPT1. When I slid the piece on initially it was tight, but I think as the plug seated into the wire completely it loosened up some

No need to try to waterproof the connectors... You will end up doing more harm than good, so just keep the connecitons up off of the ground.

D.T.

Daryl wrote:

If I put silicone sealant onto each of the SPT1 plugs and then put the wire and top slide piece on the plug, will the sealant react to the wire and plug pieces and create problems later on?

Many varieties of Silicone release acetic acid when they cure. This will definitely corrode copper and brass.

There is no need to seal a cord cap (plug). The opposite end certainly isn't, and if you need to remove the connector and reinstall it, then the sealant will make the cord cap useless.

For the purposes of lighting displays, weatherproofing electrical connections isn't a necessity, but if you want to truly weatherproof an electrical connection (or repair), this stuff will get it done.
mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XTyNXs6EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--