Light-O-Rama Forums

Silly Newbie global set up question

mgrant8163

I don't have any equipment yet and I'm beginning my planning for the 2012 show season. I'm making a list of the equipment that I'll need and a site plan on where it will go and connect. I don't know much about electronics but I'm a fast learner so bear with my silly question::cool:

Is it better to centralize all of your controllers in one area than to spread them out over the entire yard and put them close to the individual props?

Here's my logic; 1) Network cable is more expensive, harder to splice, etc. If I centralized my controllers, say in the garage, I minimize the network cabling but I spend more on my extension cords that are cheaper and easier to adapt via vampire plugs, etc., 2) my network may run stronger with shorter runs between my laptop and the controllers and 3) I can keep all my most sensitve/expensive electronic equipment and connections out of the elements.

Thoughts? Thanks/MG

anothere newbie trying to plan everything for next year here and I'm going to set up my controllers in my garage (I'm planing to start with 32 channels), the main reason I'm doing that is because of security, I rather keep the controllers out of the elements and away from people trying to "borrow" my controlerst permanently, once the display gets bigger I'll worry bout splitting them around the house.

I'm a newbie too and I am "centralizing" my controllers mainly because my entire display is going to be on the house for security reasons. I have many angles and rooflines on my house, so I am placing my controllers at a central corner on the roof and then running homemade (SPT) extension cords to the lights. To help keep the plugs of the controllers out of the weather, I'm also considering building a box with a lid to put all the controllers in and have the extension cords run through a set of holes at the bottom. I have 3000' of SPT1 wire and enough plugs to make up 130 cords.

I am also "bundling" my extension cords and lights separately and labeling them so when I put them up each year I know where each bundle goes and what they plug into. I don't know how well it is going to work, but I also am using self sticking velcro, the kind that has the loops on one side and the hooks on the other, to bundle everything together. If I need to change anything in the bundle, I can simple undo the velcro make the change and reattach the velcro. I like this idea of reusing the velcro instead of using the plastic zip ties, plus it won't pinch or cut into the wire. The durability of the velcro is what I'm not sure of.

First, cat5 shouldn't be more expensive--you are just buying it at the wrong place.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

You only need 1 cat5 between each controller. Shouldn't be any splicing. The controllers are daisy chained--cat5 goes in to one controller, and then another cat5 goes back out to the next controller.

So compare the price of one cheap cat5 cable compared to at least 18 extension cords going extra distance--no brainer.

LOR networks can run just fine with 1000' cat5 cables, so I don't think you have to worry about it "running stronger" with shorter runs.

LOR controllers are designed to be out in the elements so don't let that be a concern. They are in the same weatherproof boxes that the utility companies use for equipment outside your house.

From a theft standpoint, I don't think I recall ever hearing of anybody having their controllers stolen during the past several years I have been here. The average joe has no clue what that controller box is, or its value. I have some of mine behind bushes so they are kinda out of sight--more for aesthetics rather than security. It would take somebody quite a bit of work to remove a controller--have to unplug 18 cords (which LOR dongles are tough to unplug), or cut them all. Plus figure out how to remove the controller from your mounts. Takes way too long--too risky. Plus a controller doesn't have value to somebody unless they can use it or sell it to somebody easily. LOR is not a practical item for most of them to do that with. If anything, I would think the extra copper extension cords laying all over your yard might be of interest to them more than anything.

The biggest risks we face are vandals. They just want to smash display items (trees, props, Xmas gift boxes, etc). That is also a good reason not to "decorate" you controllers in pretty Xmas packages in order to conceal them. They attract a vandal. Make them plain and boring looking.

Just my thoughts.

There are proponents of both sides. And there are people who do it both ways.

At home, all the controllers are bolted to the side of the house, in the side yard, with cord sets that are marked for the various uses year to year.

For the city show, we have always had much of the controllers at the bases of what they control. And increasingly, we are moving them closer and closer to what they control. One of the first things we do with new controllers is spray them some mix of flat brown, flat black, and flat green. Basically a camo mix. The less valuable they look, the better. Plus the flat dark colors help them disappear when all the lights are on around them.

Put the controllers at each prop and run Cat5 between.. extension cords are MUCH more expensive than Cat5 cable.. S4D has it right, get your Cat5 at Monoprice.. MP is the cheapest place you can find them.. I buy 25' lengths, in boxes of 10..

Same thing, never heard of controllers being stolen.. just spray paint them flat dark colors, dark green, brown, black.. blends in with the ground or shadows. Hide them behind bushes or in fake presents in the yard.

I have mine placed throughout my display by the elements they control. I have way too much extension cord (spt1) and don't need to store the thousands of feet more it would take to run all the cords to one spot

As mentioned above cat is cheap. Theft of controllers or weather isn't an issue so ease of setup and storage trumps all for me.

mgrant8163 wrote:

I don't have any equipment yet and I'm beginning my planning for the 2012 show season. I'm making a list of the equipment that I'll need and a site plan on where it will go and connect. I don't know much about electronics but I'm a fast learner so bear with my silly question::cool:

Is it better to centralize all of your controllers in one area than to spread them out over the entire yard and put them close to the individual props?

Here's my logic; 1) Network cable is more expensive, harder to splice, etc. If I centralized my controllers, say in the garage, I minimize the network cabling but I spend more on my extension cords that are cheaper and easier to adapt via vampire plugs, etc., 2) my network may run stronger with shorter runs between my laptop and the controllers and 3) I can keep all my most sensitve/expensive electronic equipment and connections out of the elements.

Thoughts? Thanks/MG

IMO, go to monoprice.com. Cat5 is cheap, real cheap. $8 for a 100ft section, cheaper than say 16 100ft extension cords. you will use LOTS of extension cords but only need Cat5 to go from controller to controller. I place my controllers near the props that will utilize that unit so that I have shorter extension cord runs.

My permanent controllers are centralized in my basement and control the landscaping lights and then whatever for shows. My last controller I put outside mounted to the house close to my fan, really saves on extension cords. My new controllers that I get this year will be outside as well, so much easier.

im a newbie as well 2011 is my first year i only use 4 75 foot store bought cords to the 2 controllers under my mega tree i also have 2 more on my portable power panel that sit on my front porch 1100 foot of spt cord runs to all props. the mount for my mega weights 800 pounds the controllers are mounted to it and pad locked the power panel is mounted on a hand truck with its controllers and is pad locked to the house yea max your right i am 98%led

Ok, not actually cheap, but I have had some stakes made. It is a 4 ft 2" angle iron with a 1 ft sq plate welded to the end. Other end is sharpened. Plate is drilled and tapped to mount the demarc box. I put these out near the elements that it will control and then run power and home made cat5 cables. Each controller has a jumper made with a male/female/female/male QC connectors for hot and neutral. Then I daisy chain my power also. I sure do love my LEDs for power or should I say lack of power consumption.
Both box and stake is flat black. But I saved a lot on the SPT wire and I dont have to run between display and the controllers for trouble shooting. But each to their own.

mgrant8163 wrote:

Is it better to centralize all of your controllers in one area than to spread them out over the entire yard and put them close to the individual props? It depends with my display I have 5 controllers in 3 diffrent spots 2 near the house for house lights and 2 on one side of the yard and one on the other because of the way our side walk is this saves alot of extension cord about 50 ft per run. Onn the other hand having them together could be a better security measure if you had them hid really well

Here's my logic; 1) Network cable is more expensive, harder to splice, etc. If I centralized my controllers, say in the garage, I minimize the network cabling but I spend more on my extension cords that are cheaper and easier to adapt via vampire plugs, etc.,
2) my network may run stronger with shorter runs between my laptop and the controllers and 3) I can keep all my most sensitve/expensive electronic equipment and connections out of the elements.

Thoughts? Thanks/MG

here is my take.

1) Network cable is CHEAP!,EASY to splice, If I spread out my controllers, I minimize the EXPENSIVE and HEAVY extension cords
2) my network can run strong for hundreds of feet per run
3) I can keep the most expensive electrical cords short and near the things they are controlling, thus easing troubleshooting, put up and take down.

Seriously,I buy network cable for 40-50 bucks for 1000 ft box.
Sometimes the "liquidator" sites have it with free testers, crimpers or ends.

right now its $69.99 for 1000 ft. at cablesforless.com
I'd be willing to bet in the doldrums of February they will have a sale.

Like Jeff said tho, if I had a smaller display, I would keep everything close, but I have almost 400ft of road front to decorate.

Tried both ways and found its MUCH easier to locate the controller near its lights. As I have added more controllers its more apparent. Long runs of power cords overlapping gets very confusing. Labeling the ends is not that helpful when you have a bundle of 30 cords.

My controllers are mostly mounted to trees or house. Two are just in the yard near their lights. This year I am using multiple adapters so not all controllers are daisy chained.

Newbie here also. Centralizing all of my controllers, using lots and lots of spt wire. Currently only have 8 controllers with a total max of 16 ever wanted. Safe, secure, and never seee the elements. Chris

Put the controllers near the elements and save on extension cords. For LEDs long extension cords can also result in flickering.

mgrant8163 wrote:

Thanks to all. My yard is pretty spread out so I'l be de-centralizing my controllers, painting them camo colors and saving $$ on shorter extension cords.

Mike

Glad we won you over! ;)

Spreading the controllers out around the props is a much better way to go IMO.

My controllers are on stands and I wound up putting black plastic bags over each controller and wrapping them with garland and a large bell so they look like presents in the day time and you can't see them at night.

If you so much as look at those bells wrong they make a lot of noise, enough to wake me up actually. They are Christmas bells that I got at the Dollar Store. Garland came from there too.

plasmadrive wrote:

Spreading the controllers out around the props is a much better way to go IMO.

My controllers are on stands and I wound up putting black plastic bags over each controller and wrapping them with garland and a large bell so they look like presents in the day time and you can't see them at night.

If you so much as look at those bells wrong they make a lot of noise, enough to wake me up actually. They are Christmas bells that I got at the Dollar Store. Garland came from there too.

Got any pics of your "wrapped presents" of your controllers?

Would be interested to see what you used, and how they actually looked in the yard, especially those "bells" you purchased.