Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree DOWN!

pixeldigger

We had a storm yesterday Afternoon.

MTD1.jpg
Luckily, while the outer guy wire failed, the inner wires securing the skirt to the pole held, and kept the light strings from being damaged.
We were able to cut off the bent portion of the pole, and insert 3/4 rigid conduit inside, and drill/pin the old pole to the rigid inside. The tree is about 3 feet shorter, but we were able to have it part of the show by 6:30 PM.j4OQg1LpLmbwbb1dxXoWyNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

pixeldigger wrote:

We had a storm yesterday Afternoon.

Luckily, while the outer guy wire failed, the inner wires securing the skirt to the pole held, and kept the light strings from being damaged.
We were able to cut off the bent portion of the pole, and insert 3/4 rigid conduit inside, and drill/pin the old pole to the rigid inside. The tree is about 3 feet shorter, but we were able to have it part of the show by 6:30 PM.j4OQg1LpLmbwbb1dxXoWyNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Bummer, but good work repairing it.

When you say a guy wire failed, what do you mean? It snapped, it pulled out of the ground, etc.?

Pulled out of the ground.

I was using home made wooden stakes.
Have never had a problem for 6 years. Usually its the coro things that catch the wind. I guess I'll have to pay better attention to tie downs in the future.

pixeldigger wrote:

Pulled out of the ground.

I was using home made wooden stakes.
Have never had a problem for 6 years. Usually its the coro things that catch the wind. I guess I'll have to pay better attention to tie downs in the future.

Need to use something that anchors better. I use dog tie out stakes (standard type). The ground eventually freezes here (though not this year--soggy mess) so short ones work just fine (~15"). Even this year they seem to be holding just fine. Get good quality ones from somewhere like Home Depot rather than the dollar store, since I have hear of cheap ones bending and breaking. Quality ones are too thick to do so. Some use the heavy duty type particularly if ground doesn't freeze. Either are inexpensive and will do the trick.
tie_out_stakes.jpg