Light-O-Rama Forums

CDI 100 ct led lights Schematic

Denis Chaput

Does anyone have a schematic or idea how the CDI led lights are wired up to the rectifiers as I have one complete set going dim on me and would like to spend some time repairing them in the new year.

Denis

Was able to repair my leds,specifically the local ones we get at Canadian Tire are easy to troubleshoot and repair.The ones from CDI took more time.

Merry Christmas all

So how did you fix them? I'm planning on a large (well large for me) purchase of M6 and C6 lights from CDI around mid-late February when I know I have the funds to complete my currently saved order there.

So it would be great to know how you fixed them so others could repair theirs if they encounter that problem.

The Cdi lights trace the fault to a faulty male plug where the fuse was partly dislodged. But I had stripped some wires for future reference.

For our Canadian Tire I unravelled the lights as much as I could and followed along with my Fluke voltage sensor till I found one that was showing open , jumpered across it and the set came on so I replaced it with one of the same color from another faulty set that I cannibilized.

Looks like I will be able to save most of my faulty sets in the future,also when people come see my display and they mention there faulty sets they are throwing out I ask that they drop them off with me so that I can recycle them:D

Win win situation for me as I am semi-retired and have some idle time when honey-do contracting is not around:P

Sorry dont mean to hi-jack your thread OP. But just want people to not be confussed by Orville's comment about ordering from CDI
Orville wrote:

So how did you fix them? I'm planning on a large (well large for me) purchase of M6 and C6 lights from CDI around mid-late February when I know I have the funds to complete my currently saved order there.

So it would be great to know how you fixed them so others could repair theirs if they encounter that problem.

The following is a quote from Paul S. about when CDI would end their Pre-Buy sale.

"The sale will end on January 20. We will only be shipping by UPS this year - sorry!" So be sure to have your order in before Jan the 20th.

Max-Paul wrote:

Sorry dont mean to hi-jack your thread OP. But just want people to not be confussed by Orville's comment about ordering from CDI
Orville wrote:

The following is a quote from Paul S. about when CDI would end their Pre-Buy sale.

"The sale will end on January 20. We will only be shipping by UPS this year - sorry!" So be sure to have your order in before Jan the 20th.

Can't do it. My check that will cover this WILL NOT come in until mid to late February and there is NO WAY I can finalize anything until then. Bank wouldn't even process it since the funds aren't there to cover such a purchase.

I truly detest PRESALE PRICES and ADVERTISED/UNADVERTISED SALES in general. I would just like to know the REGULAR FULL PRICE and be done with it so I know how to plan and what I need to pay for an item. And when I pay for something, I pay in full up front so I expect it to be shipped within a very short time (3 days, maybe a week or two, but not months later), especially once my payment has been cleared, which is usually a matter of minutes or possibly not more than 2 days with my bank.

Maybe I'll just take my money back to the big box stores when they start putting their stuff out in 2012. They may not be of the greatest quality, but at least I know what I'm going to be paying for it and can see exactly what I'm getting before I even buy it, which can't really be done on-line.

I just set the order up to know what I want and already knew the prices will go up before I am ready to finalize it, I was just getting an idea of what I want and somewhat of an inkling of an idea how much it's going to cost me.

Orville wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
Orville wrote:

Can't do it. My check that will cover this WILL NOT come in until mid to late February and there is NO WAY I can finalize anything until then. Bank wouldn't even process it since the funds aren't there to cover such a purchase.

I truly detest PRESALE PRICES and ADVERTISED/UNADVERTISED SALES in general. I would just like to know the REGULAR FULL PRICE and be done with it so I know how to plan and what I need to pay for an item. And when I pay for something, I pay in full up front so I expect it to be shipped within a very short time (3 days, maybe a week or two, but not months later), especially once my payment has been cleared, which is usually a matter of minutes or possibly not more than 2 days with my bank.

Maybe I'll just take my money back to the big box stores when they start putting their stuff out in 2012. They may not be of the greatest quality, but at least I know what I'm going to be paying for it and can see exactly what I'm getting before I even buy it, which can't really be done on-line.

I just set the order up to know what I want and already knew the prices will go up before I am ready to finalize it, I was just getting an idea of what I want and somewhat of an inkling of an idea how much it's going to cost me.

Dang Orville, sorry about the money situation. But you dont have to go on a rant. If you look to the right of the spread sheets that Paul offers. You will see the full price that the lights will be when the pre-buy is over. And thus you can budget for those prices and no wondering. Come on, just a bit to much hum drum. Your not a drama queen are you?

Sorry Max-Paul,
Just haven't been feeling all that well today and wasn't really trying to go on a rant, just came out that way.

I think I saved the pdf file, but not sure, may have to go and download it if I can't find it.

Wish the other vendor had their regular prices listed to compare with CDI's. Currently both are cutting off the sale date at 1/20. But not everyone has the money PRIOR to that date. I was hoping I would, but told my back-payment check won't come in until mid to late February.

Otherwise chances are I'd have already completed my order, but currently there isn't any way and now being on a "fixed" income monthly starting in Jan. 2012. Well I have to buy what I can when I can do so. But Social Security does things a bit backward than most folks, so my back-payment won't come until after my first monthly installment. So that just made it a little more stressful to me as well, knowing I'm probably going to have to cut my order down, probably almost in half since I can't get in on the current pricing. I have $2,000-$2,200 set aside for new LED lights, an EDM transmitter, extra antenna and possibly 1 or 2 CTB16PC controllers, depending on the cost of the LED strings, which I am trying to make as my priority purchase for 2012.

The rest of that back-payment is (has to, actually) go/ing for a down payment either on the current house we're in if we can work out a deal on it, and if not, in a 55+ manufactured home retirement community that I know I can afford.

pikadroo wrote:

I actually kinda liked what holiday light express has guaranteed with their presale.

http://www.holiday-light-express.com/

I am also very skeptical on presale type thingies, so I like the "just the facts" approach they have. Also they addressed all my objections to purchasing from them so I think I'll give it a shot this year.

I survived the extension cord co-op with excellent results so... this should be a cake walk. ;)

Drew

Checked their site, but they don't have the count or the colors that CDI and MitS offer, they seemed to be limited in their colors and strand count, didn't see yellow or pink there. CDI and MitS also offer variations of White and Blue , MitS also offers counts of 35, 50, 70, and 100 count strands in all colors. CDI seems to have different counts, but I found their site difficult to navigate to find exactly what I wanted, MitS made it extremely easy to locate everything I want in a nice drop down menu for each LED style.

And at MitS you can also select any quanity you want too, from 1 strand to 24 strands (which equals 1 case) or even higher quanities.

So after careful deliberation, I have actually decided to go with MitS, they were almost $800 cheaper than CDI for close to the same LED lights I want. And all are 100 count strands. So I'm getting more LED lights for the money. The only difference was CDI has M6 and MitS has M5's. But that's not that big of a deal to me since I can use either M style LED strand for what I'm using these lights for, to replace incandescents in my Coro Arches.

Orville wrote:

So after careful deliberation, I have actually decided to go with MitS, they were almost $800 cheaper than CDI for close to the same LED lights I want. And all are 100 count strands.

I only glanced at MITS, and am going with CDI for what I want. But the "800 dollars cheaper" comparison caught my eye...is that for exact same quantity/type/etc?

DonFL wrote:

Orville wrote:

So after careful deliberation, I have actually decided to go with MitS, they were almost $800 cheaper than CDI for close to the same LED lights I want. And all are 100 count strands.

I only glanced at MITS, and am going with CDI for what I want. But the "800 dollars cheaper" comparison caught my eye...is that for exact same quantity/type/etc?

Yes they are for the EXACT same quanity. I ordered 12 of each color I wanted in 100 ct. LED strings. The only real difference is only in the M type strands I'm getting, M5's from MitS, where I'd get M6's from CDI. Other than that, the C6's I set up for pricing were basically identical in color and bulb count.

CDI's price: $2,112.00¢ ($1,900.80 w/10% discount using code: cdifan10) (96 strands)

MitS price: $1,451.52¢ (96 strands) and I think MitS has a 2% discount if paid in full in advance, but not 100% sure on that. So even with a 2% discount, price would be: $1,442.29¢

Price Difference: $660.48¢ without the discount, (tried doing the calculations in my head, so I made an error in my subtraction),

So it breaks down something like this (hope I got this figured correctly):

Difference of $449.28¢ w/10% discount from CDI

Difference of $458.51¢ w/2% discount from MitS,

Difference of $660.48¢ without discounts from either site

But whatever, the savings range depending on discount or no discounts at $449.28¢, $458.51 or $660.48¢ all are still a considerable savings and would be 1 or 2 CTB16PC fully assembled {in my case} controllers from what I'd save, or possibly even an EDM Transmitter with the RDS feature!

So first off, you can't use the CDI discount for pre-orders (I asked..).

Paul's pre-order flyer mentions M5s, but I can tell you from experience, you won't see the difference with M6s.

I'm looking at CDI price for 100 count M5 strings, versus MITS...MITS 12.93 per string, CDI 14.00.

96 strands at CDI is 1344, MITS 1241. Less than 100 bucks for 96 strings.

What am I missing?

Orv...are you comparing CDI in-season estimated prices with MITS sale prices?

And it is 12 strands per case, not 24 (referencing your post from earlier today)...you're buying lights, not beer..:D

DonFL wrote:

So first off, you can't use the CDI discount for pre-orders (I asked..).

Paul's pre-order flyer mentions M5s, but I can tell you from experience, you won't see the difference with M6s.

I'm looking at CDI price for 100 count M5 strings, versus MITS...MITS 12.93 per string, CDI 14.00.

96 strands at CDI is 1344, MITS 1241. Less than 100 bucks for 96 strings.

What am I missing?

Well it took it and discounted it when I plugged it in. So on that one Paul needs to check his site because IT IS taking the cdifan10 and discounting the "pre-sales" order!

I am buying different colors, not all the same color or bulb style, but all are 100ct, and the prices I'm comparing are the orders I have saved at BOTH sites, again only difference is between M5 and M6. Just know to me it's a big difference in what I'm buying between the two. That's all I know.

Just know MitS shows as 24/case, as the options in their drop down menu for selection at MitS are to purchase a Single Strand or a Case of 24, I click the single strand and change the quanity to 12. And it came out to be much cheaper than CDI by quite a bit for the colors and style I want (C6's and M5's) I want.

I can only go by what the cart shows me as my total cost and then compare it to the other sites to see where the best deal lies. For me it is MitS.

For others it may be different depending on bulb count, type or color(s) they are buying.

This is what my MitS and CDI orders look like:

Qty: Style: Count: Type: Color:

12 C6 100 LED Pure Winter White Mini Ice $194.52¢ C6/CDI: $288.00¢

12 C6 100 LED Grinch Green Mini Ice $189.00¢ C6/CDI: $273.00¢

12 C6 100 LED Sugarplum Purple Mini Ice $218.52¢ C6/CDI: $324.00¢

12 C6 100 LED Blitzen Blue Mini Ice $182.04¢ C6/CDI: $267.00¢

12 C6 100 LED Yuletide Yellow Mini Ice $164.64¢ C6/CDI: $234.00¢

12 C6 100 LED Rudolph Red Mini Ice $164.04¢ C6/CDI: $234.00¢

12 M5 100 LED Pure Winter White Mini Ice $185.04¢ M6/CDI: $273.00¢

12 M5 100 LED Pumpkin Orange Mini Ice $153.72¢ M6/CDI: $219.00¢

Total Orders(96 strands): MitS: $1,451,52¢ CDI: $2,112.00¢

Difference: $660.48¢ That's a lot more than just a $100 difference!

Only difference is at CDI the M5's were M6's and I the blue I bought at MitS looks like blue, whereas CDI's looks more cyan.

Other than that and aside from color names being different, they are the same color otherwise.

rstately wrote:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers?, but what I see is,
CDI Pre-sale 100count C6 case of 12 210.00
MITS Pre-sale 100count C6 case of 12 198.48
288.00 is the CDI in season price...

http://www.creativedisplays.com/Announcements

Numbers came DIRECTLY from their PRE-SALES pages and what shows up in MY CART at both sites when placed in same.

Those are the numbers I got when I went to see what the LED lights I wanted would cost me for what I wanted. And those are the EXACT PRICES I got that you see listed in my price comparison list above.

To me it can't get any plainer than that. I saw no other prices or area to add what I wanted at CDI, same with MitS with the exception MitS has a 40% down, 60% down or 100% (paid in full) payment options to pay for your pre-sale items.

I can only go by what I can add to a cart and get the prices, which is exactly what I did in the above comparisons.

To order from the CDI pre sale you have to call or email your order...
The CDI site does not have the pre sale prices...

P.S. Clay, congratulations on your new house, I haven't been on the forums much. just catching up.

I would like to know how to fix LED light strings though:D

rstately wrote:

To order from the CDI pre sale you have to call or email your order...
The CDI site does not have the pre sale prices...

P.S. Clay, congratulations on your new house, I haven't been on the forums much. just catching up.

I would like to know how to fix LED light strings though:D

Well then that's the only prices I could compare too, as I figured the prices on the CDI site WERE the pre-sale price like other sites do, wasn't aware they weren't. Just took it they were like everyone else and had the sale pricing online.

Either way, still going with Jacob Dell at MitS. At least he has his pre-sale prices on-line for direct ordering to know what you'll be spending by adding it all up for you on the site, so that's a big plus to me too, and he is also working with me on my order, a double +!

Orv, you're comparing apples to oranges with a lemon thrown in, and have your numbers totally confused, but hey, whatever works for you, go for it.

I think if you step back and look at the comparison, price options, etc., you'll find them to be within a few bucks of each other.

But again, go for what works for you.